• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barber Collectors - Post your images -

2,064 posts in this topic

I was away on vacation when another 1893-S was up for auction at DLRC, this one was in PCGS 58. The buyer was kind enough to offer me his undergraded coin for my second tier set which is below:

49304-1893sHALFpcgs40obv.jpg.4b15199514770f538ed17458f01cfe92.jpg

50c1892N65.jpg

I posted this pic a few weeks ago in another thread, but this is one of my favorite coin in my collection.

Toyo, you realize that the coin imaged is a half dollar and not a half dime, don't you? hm:tonofbricks:

Very nice looking Barber Coins everyone.

A 1909 Barber Half Dollar. Any ideas/comments on the black spots on the reverse?

Rey

1909BarberHalfMS64Obv.jpg

1909BarberHalfMS64Rev.jpg

Edited by rbrown4

I would guess that the spots on the reverse might be dip residue, which is the common term used to describe a dipping procedure (dip and subsequent rinse) that was not done properly and that eventually results in toning spots or haze on a coin. Alternatively, it may simply be "stuff" that was adhered to the surface of the coin and was not removed in the dip. Truly, I cannot tell much about the spots from the images provided and this is just a guesstimate.

Nice Barber half Rey. Those spots don't look like dip residue to me, Dip residue will usually have some sort of wild toning to it also. These are just spots. Looks like the coin may have had some slight corrosion or pvc damage and was dipped/cleaned but was not able to remove all. JMO

Speaking of Barbers has any one some info on the 25C 1916 D/d, how rare is it really and finest none?

And on the 10c 1893/2 same questions.

I love varieties so these two interest me greatly, are they really varieties or are these another Red Book blunder, that is they are very prevalent but the Red Book just exaggerates its rarity etc.?

Speaking of Barbers has any one some info on the 25C 1916 D/d, how rare is it really and finest none?

And on the 10c 1893/2 same questions.

I love varieties so these two interest me greatly, are they really varieties or are these another Red Book blunder, that is they are very prevalent but the Red Book just exaggerates its rarity etc.?

I don't think the D/d is all that scarce, as I have seen a few but never really thought of adding one to my collection because it was a major variety.

Here's my 1893 / 2 Dime - its in a PCGS 58 holder:

49642-1893over2DimeANACSau.jpg.a1c219fe4ab7a108a4154301158caa62.jpg

49643-1893over2DimeANACSau58_small.jpg.960e541c56195eebe925e6ebb3093258.jpg