• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maritime/Ship Related Coins for Jackson

41 posts in this topic

Jackson has recently posted several coins here that represent his interest in Maritime/Ship related coinage. Why not start a thread about these as we have with other themes. It is always helpful not only to the specific collector but interesting to others.

Rey

Here is my first contribution, a 1949 Canadian Dollar NGC MS 65.

Let's see what everyone has.

1949CanadaDollarObvMS65-1.jpg

1949CanadaDollarRevMS65-1.jpg

thanks for starting this thread Rey, and thanks for sharing your sailing ship coins...I'm looking forward to checking this periodically for additions....

for your viewing pleasure, a couple of my older ones and a pair of newer ones..

47592-MVC-413S.JPG.29bd985207ea4c0111ea34fcd3d8d231.JPG

47593-MVC-414S.JPG.83b69dc2b101c2062059dc246e307f3c.JPG

47594-MVC-415S.JPG.b5a1d225e04008379009a4afdf1accb3.JPG

47595-MVC-416S.JPG.97e14dbfe2c30009423517f8437401ca.JPG

47596-MVC-417S.JPG.ecb3a425132d538b3671b553cd109bc4.JPG

Jackson,

What is that 1841 coin, the second image, that is neat. Do you have an image of the obverse?

Here is another one, US but hey part of the World.

Rey

NorseMedalRev.jpg

NorseMedalObv.jpg

I love the Norse American Medal...is that the thick or thin ? here's the other side of the coin you asked about rey..it's the 1841 Daniel Webster Hard Times Token HT-21. I also have HT-22 which has some slight differences in the design, but I wanted to show this one because it has incredible blue toning ( which I never seem to be able to capture in pics)

47665-MVC-422S.JPG.c56e3a22df544d4a614ffe886eb60513.JPG

sweet one yarm, I've also been looking at the New Brunswicks for a while, but i haven't found one that really jumped out at me..(until now)..thanks for the reminder to keep looking and for sharing that beauty..

Heritage has a New Brunswick penny in their upcoming NY auction with lots of color

(but a few too many marks for my tastes.) :(

1843 NB

Here's the head on view of the halfpenny. Coins and tokens with reflective

surfaces can look a lot different depending on the nature and angle of lighting

as the second set of reverse images shows.

Merged1843NBhalfpenny.jpg

Merged1843rev.jpg

I really like the Half Penny Token.

Here are two more maritime related commemoratives - Pilgrim and Long Island

Rey

Heck Jackson, I am really beginning to like ships.

1921PilgrimRevMS62.jpg

1921PilgrimObvMS62.jpg

rb1936lir.jpg

rb1936lio.jpg

I've been away and just got back to see this one..rey that long island would look great in my set..if you ever decide to part with it.......nice 1921 also..I actually don't have the 21 Pilgrim...great pics

I don't own any coins with "ships", but there are quite a few people who collect ancient coins that have ships on them. A whole freaking subculture of collectors out there are real serious about it.

77000609.jpg

Sale: Triton XI, Lot: 609. Closing Date: Monday, 7 January 2008. Bidding Closed Estimate $3000

Sextus Pompey. 44-43 BC. AR Denarius (3.73 g, 6h). Massilia (Marseilles) mint. Q. Nasidius, commander of the fleet. NEPTVNI behind, bare head of Pompey the Great right; dolphin right below; trident before / Q • NASIDIVS below, ornate galley advancing right with bank of rowers and under full sail; on the prow stands the hortator, and in the stern is seated a man guiding the rudder; six-rayed star in upper left field. Crawford 483/2; CRI 235; Sydenham 1350; Kestner 3698; BMCRR Sicily 21-24; RSC 20 (Pompey the Great). Near EF, deeply toned, areas of minor porosity and smoothing beneath tone. Wonderful portrait. Perfectly centered on both sides.

Ex Lanz 92 (4 June 1999), lot 346.

Quintus Nasidius was commander of Sextus' fleet while Sextus was in Massalia watching political events unfold further east. Coins of this issue do not bear the title praefectus classis et orae maritimae (commander-in-chief of the fleet and of the sea coasts) awarded to Sextus by the Senate in April 43 BC, indicating a prior striking date. They also do not bear Sextus' name, although the trident, dolphin, and legend NEPTVNI may refer to Sextus' naval superiority in the western Mediterranean

There are literally hundreds of different issues of ancients depicting ships. Bronze, silver, gold, Greek, Roman Imperial, Provincial etc. All price ranges. Its a great area to collect.

Although I don't collect ship coins or medals, I could make an exception for

this one from UBS Auction 73. Unfortunately, it sold for 2700 CHFs

which I think is a lot of money!

UBSAuction73.jpg