• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registry Set Names.

27 posts in this topic

Has anyone else noticed some of the Set Names that are making a Mockery out of the Registries ? Why does NGC let some of the Set names remain in the Registries ? Also why does NGC let the Sets (????) stay in the Registry that have had no coins entered. Heck some have been up for months.

Time to get rid of the Clutter and Mockery. No Coins or a BS name, Its Gone. mad.gif

Signed Again: Ken

Also get rid of the zero coin sets! If they sit there for more than a couple of weeks with NO coins in them- out they go.

But, let me also request: examples please! I'm also curious what some of these sets are called.

Three popped up yesterday I believe. A guy named his sets "The Stupidist Set 1", "The Stupidist Set 2" and "The Stupidist Set 3". Another one that comes to mind is the set called "I'd Rather do ANACS".

Unfortunately there are about 5 Sets in the Merc catagory that have just been there with nothing in them. Heck even if one coin was there it would be OK.

I may be out of line here but if your set is Stupid why even have the thing. smile.gif

A guy named his sets "The Stupidist Set 1", "The Stupidist Set 2" and "The Stupidist Set 3".

Those are my sets. They are there temporarily, while I check something out. They have coins in them. I named them that way in hopes that no one would take them seriously, since they are not going to be around long. It sounds like maybe people are taking this registry thing a bit too seriously. People should worry about their own sets, and not worry about what others are doing. Like I said the sets are only there temporarily, so anyone who has their underwear in a twist over it can calm down.

Phil

Hey Phil, that is what my wife calls my sets.

That is exactly where the names came from. My wife is always calling them the stupidest things in the house. I can not for the life of me figure out why this thread was started. I mean even if I planned on keeping the sets listed, and wanted to name them "the collection". Whose business is it anyway? I don't tell others what to name their sets, they shouldn't be telling me what to name mine. I have a good mind to leave them up for all eternity, and about one more busybody sticking their nose in will seal it. Jeez, just like a bunch of old women gossiping about what others have named their sets.

Phil

People should worry about their own sets, and not worry about what others are doing.

How can people worry about their own sets when there are too many other things to worry about, like how many points X coin is getting.

I mean even if I planned on keeping the sets listed, and wanted to name them "the collection". Whose business is it anyway?

Some people take the registry too seriously. They don't collect coins for fun. They collect registry points for ego. It's kind of sad. I like the name of your set. I hope you keep them up.

Some people take the registry too seriously. They don't collect coins for fun. They collect registry points for ego. It's kind of sad. I like the name of your set. I hope you keep them up.

I am stunned ... I honestly expected you to go into attack mode over this. I can truly say I agree with you on this Greg. What I was doing was, I submitted some coins recently, and checked the box that said add to registry. I only had one registry set, and several of the coins would not go into that set. I wanted to see if the coins would be added to the sets automatically, so I created temporary sets just to see if they added them. So far they haven't, but I will give it time and see if they are added soon.

Phil

Yep... you guys are right. Call them any friggin thing you want. Hell don't put any coins in them either. The Public will really enjoy them that way. Its just a Ego thing anyway. Never would a collector try to give the public something to enjoy also. Hell TDN's Set looks like Cow to me. Never have got any enjoyment from it.

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Please--

ease up, Ken...!!! Snizz is just having fun with his! coins, and exploring possibilities and alternatives... every! posted set has its owners' 'spin' on how they! perceive the Registry, and the 'politics' involved are wide, ranging, and varied, according to the owner's perceptions...!!!

What bothers me! more, is-- how? do we, as Registry set posters, get more! people to stop by and VIEW! those sets listed, get them more! involved with the hobby, and do more! than 'show-n-tell'...???smile.gif

Hell, I named some of my sets after my Cats! I think that it is cool to have some levity in this process. Why has there always been such purposeful seriousness in coin collecting? With the hobby now being open to the common man, the stuffiness of the past should be done away with. Now is the time to make this whole process more fun than in the past. Go for it Snizzenfixit.

I am not avocating demeaning the process, just make it a little less serious and we will probably attract more new people. You can still be a serious collector without being formal, as in the past. I do agree with you on empty sets. There should be a reasonable time limit and then they should be removed. tongue.gif

While I disagree with Ken's feeling on this matter, I can certainly understand where he's coming from.

He likes the registry. He takes great pride in his registry accomplishments, and it's natural for him to want his venue of satisfaction to be as lofty as possible.

That he got all bent out of shape is, IMO, a mistake because the registry is not his to administer. He needs to be far more constructive in how deals with this sort of stuff. However, I don't we need to shoot him for his passion either. He was, after all, trying to do something that he felt was positive for the registry. Doesn't motivation and intent count for anything?

As with all databases, it is generally a good idea to keep the data clean and uncluttered...

As a side issue, I find Ken's behavior in this incident to be quite bizarre. He notices something wrong, turns up the heat over it. When the heat gets directed back at him, he pouts and runs away. Maybe he is thin-skinned. But, I also think he has a double standard: one for how he wants to deal with matters, and the other for how he wants to be dealt with over matters.

Hmmmm...

Is this place becoming too much like that other place across the street?

frown.gif

EVP

I dunno, I sure never meant to run anybody off. Like you said though, I felt at the time like I was responding with the same kind of fire that had been directed at me. If Ken is still lurking about I apologize if my tone was a little harsh. It wasn't anything personal and I probably could have toned down my response a bit.

I have one set in the registry that I intend to keep there and the others will be deleted in a couple of days. I gave them silly names only in fun, not to be insulting in any way toward the registry or its participants ... Just having a little fun. My sense of humor has gotten me in trouble before, and I am sure it will get me in trouble again. I just want everyone to know that I meant no harm.

Phil

I am surprised too because the heat in this matter was rather low temperature as these things go. I think though that it is appropriate to "open things up a bit". I think that we will attract new members faster and keep them if we are less stuffy about this whole endeavor.

I certainly did not want to hurt his feelings and I hope that we can move on from this still friends.

EVP, all good points and yes this thread reminds me of the other forum. It was written to inflame. I have nothing personal against Ken, but he is the same guy who pulled his set or sets in a snit fit and then made it public. It seems that whenever he makes a comment, someone he manages to make a smart-aleck comment about NGC or gives them a back handed compliment. What he doesn't realized is that we have grown used to it and can see through it. Someone finally responded in like to him, he couldn't take and once again took his ball and went home.

If this had been someone else, who didn't have an obvious bias against NGC and a hidden agenda (not too hidden as we all saw through it), perhaps he wouldn't have gotten the reaction he did. His comments just became predictable. Well now he can go back over to the other forum and be with his merc buddies.

Dare I say, we are all! passionate about the coins, and series, that we collect, and it is! a point of pride, to share those sets with others. In truth, how many YNs

actually have sets posted, yet don't we all somewhat go through that child-like wonderment, to add yet another jewel to our list?

Isn't collecting a rather personal endeavor? Do we not all strive, seriously, to locate those certain pieces that continue to improve upon our efforts? Would it not stand to reason that we would take the time, as well, to 'label' our efforts in a more

forthright and upstanding manner? After all, this is! our singular chance to 'shine'!!!

Then, too, what of those who post an entry, only to leave it 'blank'? How many of these people are-- possibly-- diligently working on those sets, yet feel their efforts, thus far, aren't up to the 'standards' they! perceive belong to the set? Could it be that they have only three or four coins of some series, and don't have the wherewithall to regularly add to it? Could they be 'lurkers', waiting for their chance to 'spring' their set upon the world, and claiming the coveted #1 spot?

Seriously, how many of you take the time to wander the lists of entries, and view the coins listed? Have you bothered to write the owners, having coins that would upgrade their sets? Is all of this somehow 'taboo'...??? Does our passion sometimes cloud our judgement???

In this case, perhaps... even so, does the 'slight' make us less of who we are?

I like Ken and I like his passion for Mercs. But it's obvious he's much more comfortable across the street. Lately, the only time he posts here is to point out something wrong.

Bring us a little positive energy, Ken. Balance out those posts. Contribute meaningfully to the forum and be welcomed by all!

Personally, I don't care what the names or contents are but from another perspective...

Somebody mentioned something about demeaning the process(the process being collecting coins/numismatics) which is what some names are doing. Imagine if all the sets had names of dumb set, set, stupid set, etc... would it look to "non-believers" like coin collecting is something to do? Does it look like it woud even be remotely entertaining?

Although some stated that using derogratory registry names adds levity to the game I say the entertainment value should come from the collecting itself.

demeaning the process(the process being collecting coins/numismatics) which is what some names are doing. Imagine if all the sets had names of dumb set, set, stupid set,

And the stupidest sets live on .....

Phil

I dunno, I sure never meant to run anybody off. Like you said though, I felt at the time like I was responding with the same kind of fire that had been directed at me. If Ken is still lurking about I apologize if my tone was a little harsh. It wasn't anything personal and I probably could have toned down my response a bit.

I have one set in the registry that I intend to keep there and the others will be deleted in a couple of days. I gave them silly names only in fun, not to be insulting in any way toward the registry or its participants ... Just having a little fun. My sense of humor has gotten me in trouble before, and I am sure it will get me in trouble again. I just want everyone to know that I meant no harm.

Phil

There's NO place like across the street! Big headed &^%&*