• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paul Kiraly's Journal entry

56 posts in this topic

"Ngc needs to change their awards criteria"...he really has ticked a bunch of people off. I was wondering who here has read it and their opinions. It just seems to me that this guy misses the whole point of coin collecting. If it were all some competition for me then I wouldn't do it at all. the guy is nuts and if that were a prevailing attitude at the registry I would let my membership lapse. Fortunately, like the sense of community that we have here on the chat boards, there are also a nice community of collectors who are active in the registry. I get emails from many and we follow each others collection and additions...regardless of the monetary level or value. It is about sharing a common interest/love...coin collecting....not for points or awards, but for the artistry, history and beauty of it...

Jackson... I am not familiar with the journals. How can someone respond so that everyone could read it?

For the record, I disagree with Mr. Kiraly. The NGC rules are set up to allow everyone a chance to participate and win rather than allowing the one person with a monster coin or two to dominate. I would rather see a set with 50-percent great coins win than someone who has sat on the only MS70 in a slot win the last so-many years because that person owns one coin.

But that's my opinion!!

Scott :hi:

I think that Journal post and all of the replies should have been on the boards and not as journal entries. But, thats just my opinion. IMHO, collecting coins isn't about a competition, an award, or a rank . It should be about your love of the history, beauty, art and craftsmanship that each coin has.

I reply where the original post is, though I'll concede that we probably shouldn't have. I was so close to letting the guy's comments slide but he just came off as too much of an . That said, I tried to add something unique instead of just replying to his comments.

Paul Kiraly....being his usual SPOON self....his most recent journal entries have me wondering if the guy is a bit unhinged...

Let him blow his apparently available big bucks buying coins that he doesn't care about. Eventually he will get bored with his games, go broke trying to be the collector king, or someone in his family will commit him for a frontal lobotomy after he spends all of the family's savings being Mr. Coin Magnate.

I don't understand what fun is it always buying top pop coins. I bet he never searches for coins and send them in for grading. Searching for coins and getting a top pop coin is the greatest thrill.

I think he just doesn't understand collecting. His journal entries are just over the top and I think he shouldn't post anymore. I will not read them anymore because his comments don't count to me.

I added him to my ignore list (1st and only), then realized that that doesn't keep his posts from showing up on the side of my screen or my journal lists.

I was kinda confused when there was such an uproar over his comments. He's an . We know he's an . This behavior should no longer surprise us.

The one's that bothered me were:

Dan Fax: We now have someone else lumping all of us in and associating us with Paul's comments.

Lon1: Yay. Another only semi-literate person that likes to make (short) rants and attack posts.

Has anyone else noticed the apparent drop in readership? The view counts are down on the journals if you compare the entries from before and after this started.

I contacted NGC about a week ago after his first a attack on the newbie collector TBIRD..I mentioned that they may want to warn him and remind him that the journals are supposed to be a kind of "collecting diary" of our own numismatic experiences...apparently they ignored it..just a few days later they are having to yank some of his "posts" for content....I have had friends baanned for less volatile actions...he needs to be banned

what would he do then with all of his high priced and high graded moderns if he couldn't show them off and brag...I bet he'd sell them all since I doubt he's really much of a numismatist in the first place and competition seems to be his primary reason for owning any coins..

I contacted NGC about a week ago after his first a attack on the newbie collector TBIRD..I mentioned that they may want to warn him and remind him that the journals are supposed to be a kind of "collecting diary" of our own numismatic experiences...apparently they ignored it..just a few days later they are having to yank some of his "posts" for content....I have had friends baanned for less volatile actions...he needs to be banned

what would he do then with all of his high priced and high graded moderns if he couldn't show them off and brag...I bet he'd sell them all since I doubt he's really much of a numismatist in the first place and competition seems to be his primary reason for owning any coins..

I don't think a ban is the solution. (Actually I'm pretty sure he already has 2 accounts. Run a search and find "paul kiraly 2.") What we need is a muzzle, a silencer. Let him keep his #1 and #2 ranked bragging rights, just make him shut up about it.

I take exception to Karaly's mocking of President Lincoln. If Paul Kiraly knew anything about American History, thought about it, or ever took U.S. history in school, he would not insult President Lincoln. Kiraly as a southerner should wish Lincoln had lived. Lincoln was going to lead the South into a gentle Reconstruction which would have been very different than what happened after Lincoln's assassination. John Wilkes Booth's murderous, misplaced rage, in fact did more to hurt the South during reconstruction than any other single other person. Secretary of War, Stanton and the Carpetbaggers were given free rein to punish and exploit the south under a weak (from Tennessee) President Johnson after Lincoln was assassinated. Karaly needs to read his Civil War history book again and memorize the facts this time around.

Geez its not like me to miss a BOZO like this ... I must go see :)

I admittantly never look at the journals cause I stated once about what they were for and people just dont listen

I think most of us try to stick to the true intent of the journals most of the time. There are times when everyone strays sure but in limited amounts that's not so bad. Lately however it almost feels like every 3 days to a week a new "dust up" begins and you just get another round of bickering. I'm really at a loss for what's caused so much of this recently.

Did anyone read Paul Kiraly's Journal about his not being able to carry his coin collection in his car and having to evacuate his home south of New Orleans in the path of Hurricane Gustav! I wonder if this disaster will teach Paul a little humility?

Paul, if you should read this, I hope that neither you, your family or your coins are damaged by Gustav. However, maybe this threat of the storm is a time to reflect on your priorities in life and coin collecting.

I initially posted a quasi-response but then deleted it after a few minutes.

Only an insane fool would stay. My grandparents evacuated in the face of a big hurricane that came against us decades ago. What they still tell us to this day is that "There were some that stayed that wished to God they hadn't." For a CAT 1 or 2, I might board up and ride it out, but not for a 3, not for a 4 and not under any circumstances for a 5.

I initially posted a quasi-response but then deleted it after a few minutes.

Only an insane fool would stay. My grandparents evacuated in the face of a big hurricane that came against us decades ago. What they still tell us to this day is that "There were some that stayed that wished to God they hadn't." For a CAT 1 or 2, I might board up and ride it out, but not for a 3, not for a 4 and not under any circumstances for a 5.

Not necessarily. My Mother lives in Texas, You Walk about 15 feet into her Backyard and there is a 7 foot Seawall and the Gulf of Mexico. You look across the water and see South Padre Island or you can drive to Port Isabel in about 15 minutes and drive over the Causeway to South Padre.

My Brother who lives In Victoria Texas told her to leave and I called from Florida and told her to leave.Obviously it wasn't because of a lack of Economic means .She did not want to leave her home and she is far from being insane.Padre Island was hit the worse a few months ago and she was without Power for 4 days. The people across the street have a generator and they drove into Brownsville to eat at Restaurants,A few trees in the area uprooted and it could have been a lot worse.

She would have left had it been on the scale of Gustav and going there. She kept saying she did want to leave the House and there was no Mandatory evacaution. She said that the reports did not have it hitting there. I told her that the reports I was seeing said it could turn a little and it did.You just never know.She could have driven up to my Brothers in Victoria or got a Hotel. A friend of the Familt there that owns a Restaurant in San Benito said he would send an employee to get here and she could have stayed in one of his Houses whivh was vacant. All sorts of choices and she didn't want to leave under the circumstances.

I was in a Cat 3 (Edna) and a Cat 4 (Diane) when I was a kid on a coastal island in Maine. I don't think that I would want to do it again. Diana drove 40 foot seas breaking over the telephone pole tops on the bridge with the wave troughs exposing the road bed, between our island and the next one. A relative's house had a 30 foot lobster boat that came to rest through the living room wall after the storm.

I was in a Cat 3 (Edna) and a Cat 4 (Diane) when I was a kid on a coastal island in Maine. I don't think that I would want to do it again. Diana drove 40 foot seas breaking over the telephone pole tops on the bridge with the wave troughs exposing the road bed, between our island and the next one. A relative's house had a 30 foot lobster boat that came to rest through the living room wall after the storm.

I don't envy anybody in that scenario,We have been relatively lucky here in my area of Jacksonville Florida. We did not get the high levels of flooding here unless you lived near a large water area. Fay did the most damage with Flooding because it only moved and about 2mph and just kept dumping rain in the same area. It rained fro three straight days in Jacksonville. We have a good sewer system in my area but many sections of the town don;t have it. This is a very sore spot with me. The City spent 250 million dollars of taxpayer Money to renovate a Stadium for the Jaguars and then gave them the first 5 years of concession sales in that Stadium that should have gone to taxpayers as well as other Money throughout the years. Consequently such things as an adequate Sewer system has been neglected. I remember when there was a News article praising the fact that the Superdome was finished ahead of schedule for an upcoming football game and the fact that 100,000 people were still Homeless.

My main worry was that a tree would fall on my House. I have Insurance but if I couldn't cover the roof properly in time then everything in the House could have been damaged by the Water.

I see that Gustav is down to a Category 2 . Hope it weakens further and the people are spared.

It seems that the biggest problem, aside from the 110 MPH winds is the 10-15 inches of rain expected with the storm. I hope the the dikes hold this time.

I just read some of his journals because of this post. To each his own... I guess. I don't like to rag on ppl, but he dosn't even seem real. Coins are the last thing one should think about when your own life is in danger.

Trying to preordain NGC grading of a MS67star coin versus a MS67FT Roosevelt dime is splitting hairs too closely for me. I wouldn't know what to say in response.

Well,I guess none of these collectors understands what It is like to have a #1 set.For the most part,most of them who have bad mouthed me have garbage collections.For the most part ive have helped most collectors out.I had 37% of my roosevelt collection complete and I was #1. I went from last place to #1 in 1 year.I dont think anyone in here has done thatin a 60+++ year collection.I like buying my high grade coins.Everyone in here missed the point.I can buy ms65 and 66 roosevelts for pocket change to get 50% of the collection complete.I shouldnt have to buy them.They are a waist of money and especially to sell them.If they had anymore serious collectors out there they should have bought higher graded coins to beat me.Now on the T-Bird sacs issue.I wanted him to stop wasteing his money on a proof 69,and buy 70's..The rewards are so much sweeter.I am proud of all my coins.If you have anymore questions contact me

"Some people dream of having a million dollar coin collection,and others wake up and actually work hard at it"

Paul Kiraly

I was just wondering how many coins have you personally sent in to get graded that are know in your #1 set. (I BET NONE!!)

Some people buy top pop coins and other try to get the top pop by sending coins into get graded.

ANYONE can buy a #1 set but other people have more fun sending there own coins in.

I also bet if I gave you a PF-68UC, PF-69UC and PF-70UC, you would be able to tell the difference.

Paul, Many others on this board have had number one sets who don't now. So, You don't always know which collector that you may be putting down. Secondly, waste is spelled w-a-s-t-e, not waist. Thirdly, most of us do not put coin collecting ahead of our family's needs. Your arrogance needs the volume turned down a little.

T-bird I tried to warn you

Now you may see about what I was talking about.When you was so thrilled about buying proof 69 sacs,I tried to tell you that was not the way to go.I told you to buy 70's...I only did this because I cared about what grade you were buying.Coins are investments if you do it right.A lot of people in here was mad at me because of this.I got bad mouthed and people were downing me.A friend is someome wants you to better yourself.That was what I was trying to do.I am sorry you didn't make what you wanted.If people in this registery are still mad at me,I really dont care!

Laughinganimation1.gif