• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

~My recent coin-buying experiences~

18 posts in this topic

Some have been pleasant, some a hassle and some a disappointment.

~I purchased a proof Walker and mint state trime from Mark Feld. This was just two of a dozen or more purchases I've made from him over the years. As always, it was a very pleasant, hassle-free experience with PQ coins at a very reasonable price from him. Mark is by far my dealer of choice.

~I purchased a 1795 half from Wayne Herndon on ebay on Oct 1st. I never received the coin with blame being on the postal service. Wayne was a stand up guy and issued me a refund to pay pal even before he was allowed to put in an insurance claim. I found him to be a man of integrity even though I was disappointed with the loss of the coin.

~I purchased a proof trade dollar from Don Rinkor. It arrived but it had a nasty growth on the reverse which appeared after conservation and he hadn't noticed. I sent it back and he issued me a prompt refund including postage. Good business practice on his part. I was appreciative.

~I bought a PCGS circulated $5 gold from Gaineville Coins. I email the guy, told him what I was looking for and sent him example pics. He said the coin of interest fit my criteria. It did not. It was cleaned and lacked the originality I was looking for. He didn't reply to my email and I am still waiting for a refund.

~I bought an 1803 large cent from Scotsman auction last friday. They sent no email confirmation when I won the coin. I called Saturday and asked them to call me at work on monday so I could pay for the coin and to arrange for expedited shipping.. I was assured they would do so. I never heard from them. I called them today and was almost denied my request to expedite the shipping (I am moving next week). Understandably, the man questioned my integrity and asked for references since my billing and shipping address were different and I requested rapid shipping. Still, the whole process has been less than edifying. I just hope the coin is as nice as the picture.

~I bought a half from Randy, RGT, on the boards. It was a very pleasant experience all around. I appreciated his honesty and integrity.

~Oh, I bought a registry bicentennial quarter from Hoot off of ebay. If anyone even attempts to slander this man's integrity then I'll have my St. Bernard take a piece of your back side. :ð

So, there you have it. Almost, without exception, dealings with NGC boardmembers results in the greatest satisfaction and the best coins. It is definitely a fact that a majority of the time when I deviate from this practice, I end up regretting it.

Any similar experiences you'd like to share?

~I bought an 1803 large cent from Scotsman auction last friday. They sent no email confirmation when I won the coin. I called Saturday and asked them to call me at work on monday so I could pay for the coin and to arrange for expedited shipping.. I was assured they would do so. I never heard from them. I called them today and was almost denied my request to expedite the shipping (I am moving next week). Understandably, the man questioned my integrity and asked for references since my billing and shipping address were different and I requested rapid shipping. Still, the whole process has been less than edifying. I just hope the coin is as nice as the picture.

Victor, which 1803 was it? I provided a good reference for you when they called me about your account.

Thanks, James. I knew that I could count on you.

It's the NGC VF35 with the sweet, even tan patina. Lot 221.

46707-1803LargeCent.jpg.f9efa87f838417fc5433b25472382317.jpg

Any similar experiences you'd like to share?

The Scotsman auction of October 19 was my first experience with them. Even though I was not in need of expedited shipping as you were, I did find that invoices were provided immediately in the "My Auctions" drop-down menu after log-on. So, unless there are special circumstances as in your case, there is no need to contact them to request an invoice.

My only disappointment with the outcome of one of their auctions was the fact that I didn't realize until it was too late that internet bidding is closed at some point while live bidding is still in progress. They listed a roll of 1904-O Morgan dollars that I really wanted. I originally placed my max bid at $700, and I remained the high bidder at $575 with no activity for a couple of days. After corresponding with James about this roll, I increased my max bid to $800, and there was still no other activity. I was prepared to go higher if it was necessary.

I was at work when the live auction began, but I did find time to check the status later in the evening. I was outbid by someone on the floor, and much to my dismay, I discovered that I could not increase my bid because the auction had already closed for internet bidding. So, I lost the roll for a measly 50c per coin.

I can't fault Scotsman for this because I am sure it is stated somewhere in the fine print of their procedures (which I didn't bother to read), and in the future, I will be sure to enter my true max bid rather than try to play games.

I also want to thank James for providing invaluable input about some of the coins I was considering. If anyone, here, has never had dealings with James, I can assure you that he is one of the most honorable men I know.

Chris

I won a bid from Scotsman and I E- mailed the address given on the site but never received an answer.I wanted to send a ceck this particular time. I finally dug up the address and sent the check.Upon receivng the check they did notify me and gave information etc.

They didn't send an E- Mail confirmation as in the previous message.You had to get the info in the " You Won" Email.

Other than that it was a good experience and I have no complaints with them.

James, this cent is the perfect type coin of the perfect color that I had envisioned for my type set! I put a strong max bid on it and am glad that I did so. As far as the quarks in customer service, maybe it was just a fluke. Anyway, all is now said and done. I appreciate your intervention, bud! Oh, and I'm glad that I out bid ya on the coin. na-na-nana....... :)

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences Victor. I am sorry the Proof Trade Dollar didn't work out. It looked like a beautiful coin according to the photos.

~I purchased a 1795 half from Wayne Herndon on ebay on Oct 1st. I never received the coin with blame being on the postal service. Wayne was a stand up guy and issued me a refund to pay pal even before he was allowed to put in an insurance claim. I found him to be a man of integrity even though I was disappointed with the loss of the coin.

That sucks! I wish I could find all the coins that the Post office has lost, there must be millions of them.

A right mix of fortunes there E ze..

I myself have had quite a quiet patch lately (skint again) :(

As you probably know there has been postal strikes over hear in the UK and out of my last sale on eBay 15 lots are still missing in action.. most people are good about it but BOY are some people snotty about the delay !!!!

The one buy i have had problems with lately was from Twin City Gold of Maine in the US..

I bid on this Shield

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110171100156&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=001

041.jpg

042.jpg

but received this shield

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110166578705&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

247.jpg

245.jpg

Which they had up for sale at the time.. i contacted them via eBay and finally got a response on the 4th attempt.. they did not stop the listing on the coin and let it run even though it was over hear in the UK..

When i did get a response from them the just said send it back and we will send your coin back .. after some more emails they finally said they would pay the insured return postage .($15) . By the way they sent the first coin out to me for $0.95 uninsured ! Risky or what !

So i am about to send the coin back but i hope they actually send me mine..

what do you think ? think i will ever see My shield !!! hm

Just have to say that the 1803 cent just looks exquisite!. (thumbs u

Thanks for the Caleb protection! :grin:

Hoot

No problem, Mark. (thumbs u

I just got the lg ct today and it is the absolute best large cent that I have ever seen! The planchet is immaculate and the color is esquisite. This is a truly amazing coin! I'm very proud to have it in my collection.

Oh, I got a refund check from Gainesville coins in the mail today. I used paypal and would have prefered it refunded there but it is still cool.

-------------

Bummer, Dooly.... :sorry:

As mentioned earlier I did business with them once and had the Confirmation problem but otherwise OK. It was a slabbed NGC Coin so don't know about any other dealings.

My biggest problem was with a Seller in Sarasota.I bid on and obtained a MS70 Eagle at a good price.I did not hear anything so after four days I E Mailed them and they said they would look into it.They said it had been sent out and if I lived on the West Coast then they could understand the delay.I wrote back and told them I lived in Jacksonville Fl.which was only a few hundred miles away.They sid they would look in to it and then answered that I wouldn't believe it but the Package had the wrong address as trhe numbers in it were reversed and the Post Office didn't know what to do with it and just sat on it for four days.

They also said that an employee had called and left a message to that effect at my House.I told them that either my Wife or me was always home and that I also had caller ID and no calles had come from Sarasota.He then told me that he was upset that his employees had lied to him as he was a Professional. He then told me that the problem had been cleared and if I didn't receive it the next day that he would send out a duplicate.

I never received it the next day and it was three days late.The package was in great shape and there was no address changes.I can pretty much guarantee you that the Package was not sent out until at least four days after they told me it had been sent out.

It took 9 days from the day they told me it had been sent to go a few hundred miles.If they would have said that it hadn't been sent and woould notify me when they did send it then there would have been no problem.Instead I am wondering if a coin costing several hundred dollars was lost in the mail.

Yes, I had Insurance but how do I know if the coin can be replaced and if so at what price?

I doubt if you or any of your friends have had anyhting similar at Scotsman.

Nope, after a few initial bumps in the road, things went exceptional. They sent the coin FedEx and I got it yesterday and I am more than pleased with the coin, but I did pay way more than double the Numismedia suggested retail price. But to get a PQ coin, that is expected. I've paid PQ money for many of my PQ coins. 'Tis better than mediocre dome.

Nope, after a few initial bumps in the road, things went exceptional. They sent the coin FedEx and I got it yesterday and I am more than pleased with the coin, but I did pay way more than double the Numismedia suggested retail price. But to get a PQ coin, that is expected. I've paid PQ money for many of my PQ coins. 'Tis better than mediocre dome.

I delt with Scotsman about 4 years ago and as I remember I was very pleased with the service and the coin,As I remember it was a certified coin. hm

I wouldn't have any reservations in dealing with them again :popcorn:

Victor, excellent news! I am glad you enjoy the coin, and had a feeling you would.

Michael, I can't and don't speak for Scotsman, but it would be interesting to hear details as to what problems your friends have experienced with them.

Having recently done some contract work for Scotsman, I can no longer claim an unbiased opinion, but I have had excellent dealings with them for years.

I am not sure that my messagw was understood. It was not Scotsman that I had the above problem. It was a coin dealer in Sarasota.The only thing I had with Scotsman was that I received no E- Mail confirmation otherwise everything went well.

My remark was referring to the person who claimed his friends had many problems.My remark was referring to the fact that I doubt that his friends had near the experience with Scotsman that I did with hte above mentioned with Sarasota Coin.

Upon receiving payment Scotsman also sent me a survey regarding my area of Interest in Coins etc.