• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Library - recommended books for every coin specialty

51 posts in this topic

The VAM Book is a great tool! It has a whole section on Peace Dollars in addition on backround on how Morgan and Peace dollars came to be. It also goes into the GSA sale from a few years back. It also goes into how a coin is minted. It has a chapter on cleaning and peseerving silver dollars, How to detect counterfits and how to examin and photograph silver dollars. I would highly recomend the book. CHRIS

I doubt if there's enough history behind the US Peace Dollar series to fill a book, but I'm sure that someone has filled a pamphlet. Any suggestions? Twowood

It was mentioned earlier, but the two main books are:

The Morgan and Peace Dollar Textbook by Wayne Miller

Comprehensive Catalog and Encyclopedia of Morgan and Peace Dollars by Van Allen & Mallis

Best book I ever read about the coin market:

Buyer's Guide to the Rare Coin Market by Dave Bowers

By far and away the BEST coin book I ever read.

Another specific series book:

Guide to Walking Libery Halves by Bruce Fox

jom

"Bust Half Fever 1807-1836" by Edgar Souders, 1995, Money Tree Press

This is a "must have" book for all levels of bust half collectors. Mr. Sounders goes through each year of bust halves, discussing strikes, rarity, history, etc. He also dives into the "dark side" of bust half collecting - the whizzing, dipping, re-toning, and other dangers to watch out for. He discusses minting processes in detail.

This is not an attribution book like Overton.

There has just been a new edition of the Judd book on patterns issued. The main authors are QDB, Robert L. Hughes, Sr., and Saul Teichman.

The Pollock book on patterns is still wholeheartedly recommended, as it contains additional die varieties and offers much more information.

I will use both.

Great lists of books.

An excellent Numismatic library is one of my best possessions and is used regularly.

For anyone with an interest in LS Coins, the 4 bound editions of the Gobrecht Journals are a must. 893applaud-thumb.gif

For anyone with time, knowledge and a yearning to be an author, note that there are no books of any depth on the 3 cent silver series. frown.gif

On Peace Dollars, another useful book is: "US Silver Dollar Encyclopedia", by: John Highfill.

This book complements the QDB, "Silver Dollars of the United States".

Of course the classic is: "20th Century United States Gold Coins (1907-1933), " by David W. Akers. This book is also available from Bowers and Merena.

I heartily agree on this one, essential for anyone collecting Saints, or Indian eagles, half eagles or quarter eagles. Extensive information on each date/mint, with estimates of rarity by grade for MS pieces.

Another thing I wanted to mention, was that many of these books are out of print (including this one), and are difficult to locate (it took about 3 months to find my copy). I found a company called J.J. Teaparty out of Boston that has a good inventory of books, many out of print, and they have very prompt and friendly service, and fair prices too. I highly recommend them. Here is a link to their website: http://www.jjteaparty.com/books.htm

Whenever I have that urge to venture out into a different series or want to expand my knowledge of the series I do collect, I will try to "buy the book" first. I discovered a local dealer who is becoming well know at area shows as well as some of the larger shows for the amount and variety of reference books he has for just about anything related to coins. Several times the books I have asked him for are out of print, and he has been able to locate and deliver. Recently, I was looking for a couple of books on Commemorative Halves, checked his Ebay store and in the 250+ listings of reference books, I found them and made the order. His name is Jabon Broach and here is a link to his website: http://www.collectons.com He is doing alot of updating on this site so if some of the links are inactive he has the same material listed at his Ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/CollecTons

Buy the book first, Andy

Can anyone suggest a good book on Liberty Head Nickels?

How is Bowers' A Guide Book of Shield And Liberty Head Nickels?

No one answered my question in this forum, but they did in the US Coins forum, so here's a link to that: ANSWERS

In my library, for Large Cent and Half Cent collectors (us EAC types):

"The Die Varieties of United States Large Cents 1840 - 1857" by Bob Grellman.

"The Cent Book 1816 - 1839" by John Wright.

"The Half Cent Die State Book 1793 - 1857" by Ron Manley.

All three are outstanding references for those interested in varieties of Large Cents or Half Cents. Photos or illustrations are top quality in each book, and make attribution quite easy.

• Administrator

There is a new list started in the WYNTK format which you can find and contribute at the link below.

This post is now locked so that we can consolidate new contributions in one spot.

New library list