• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registry sets without pictures frustrate me -- A proposed solution

51 posts in this topic

:pullhair: None of the "top" registered Shield 5c sets have pictures. :frustrated: Lots of other sets that I'd like to see also lack pictures. :mad: Maybe some of those owners like the grades of the coins more than they like the coins themselves. hm

I suppose some folks lack the ability to post pictures . . . but lots of them can but don't. They seem to be more interested in bragging rights than in sharing their collections so that others can learn and enjoy. That's a shame. I completely disregard those collections. :whatev:

Maybe NGC can tap into collectors' competitive drive as a way to encourage them to post pictures of the coins in their registry sets. Let's award more points to coins that are accompanied by photos. The potential for acquiring a few more points would probably motivate some of the registry set owners to include pictures of their coins. :sick:

They already have it set up so that in the case of a tie then the one with pictures will win, but that doesn't help when they're far and above the highest scored set in the category.

How about something along the lines of sets that have fewer than 50% of their coins imaged or described are not eligible for awards and will not show up as ranked? In other words, they would all show up as signature sets, or whatever the term is that NGC uses for personalized sets.

How about something along the lines of sets that have fewer than 50% of their coins imaged or described are not eligible for awards and will not show up as ranked? In other words, they would all show up as signature sets, or whatever the term is that NGC uses for personalized sets.

That's better than my idea. (thumbs u I don't understand fully how the registry works, so my suggestions might not make too much sense. Would it be possible, for example, to keep a coin from counting toward a set ranking (and to keep the grade hidden) unless the coin is imaged and described?

• Administrator

I like the idea of encouraging pictures, and we do some things to do that (best presented award, ties go to he/she with the most photos, etc.). But imaging coins can be a quite an obstacle for some folks so anything that feels too much like they're being penalized is probably too harsh.

I know for many of us the hurdles are low, but if you're not a very savvy tech user, you might have to:

1. Buy a digital camera

2. Get the coins from your safety deposit box

3. Learn how to use it

4. Figure out how to take pictures that aren't terrible

--a. Macro lens

--b. Lighting set up

--c. etc.

5. Figure out how to crop the photos and then save them as jpgs

--a. Find the software

--b. Understand compression and file sizes of images

--c. Understand your save format options

6. Upload the photos to the registry

For many of us here these are tiny hurdles, or not hurdles at all... but think of some of the less tech savvy people you know in your life...

I'd actually like to combine some great encouragement techniques (open to suggestions) with some mods I have in mind to make the process easier.

I think if we go the path of added points (if such a thing is possible) it shouldn't be too massive of a force in determining set ranking. Something low like 5 points for pictures and 5 points for a description. Let's face it, everyone should be able to offer SOMETHING for a description as long as they give a .

Personnally the % of my coins with photos is slipping since I'm at college and the coins are shipped to my house. A family member that's a collector checks the coins for me when they arrive and they send me cert #s to add to my sets. This means no pictures though.

--a. Find the software

If NGC wanted to get really fancy, they could probably incorporate photo editing software into the registry site, kind of like Flickr.

Devil's Advocate time: Once you've seen a blast white [or red, or gold etc] modern proof, you've seen 'em all!

This isn't as much of an issue for the moderns I'll admit but for the older coin sets that STILL don't have pictures it's definitely lame.

To me, looking at top set with no picture and saying wow is just like wowing at pop reports.

Precisely!

Devil's Advocate time: Once you've seen a blast white [or red, or gold etc] modern proof, you've seen 'em all!

The devil needs a better advocate. The registries are at their best when they focus on the coins, not the friggin' grades. Look how instructive and enjoyable it is to view and to read about your Trade Dollar Set, TomB's Type Set, and Hoot's Buffalo 5c and Transitional Pieces of 1836-40 (these are just examples, and other sets could also illustrate my point).

For the sets that you describe, however, I suppose additional points could be added for excluding photos. :devil:

Today I added 3 coins to my set, and the images.

Total time including scanning at 600 dpi, cropping, uploading, short description = 15mins AT MOST

5 mins per coin.. so even those with 100 coins in a set could do the whole lot bit by bit without reasonable pain.. just need some basic skills with the imaging program

I agree - I do not have all mine pictured ( Eventually ) I usually pick a goodie in each group so at least there is one example. ie Proof Silver Eagles I have the

95 'dubbleyeah'

Some people dont have the time or skill also ...

Some sets frustrate me also but worse than no pictuirs is the Hidden sets - why bother

I answered the same question on another post on here, but will try again here. I have almost 500 coins in my registry's. They are almost all modern coins with MS65-70's and PF 69-70's. What are you looking to see? Some of my coins are only worth 3 points, so would you give me 5 extra points for submitting a picture. What kind of descriptions do you want to read?

It is a daunting task that will take up alot of my coin colllecting/learning/searching time. How much space will 500 coins take up on my hard drive? I think it is a good idea for insurance and record keeping but don't even know how to start. I have a digital camera but can't seem to get a decent picture of a coin. I wouldn't want anyone complaing that my pictures weren't of the quality that people on here expect. This is why I have never posted my newest aquisition which seems to be popular on here. I looked into having NGC photo my submissions but at $3 a piece and that you have to get all photographed on a submission form. This will be too much money.

I actually have more of an issue with obscured sets. People have a right to privacy, but when I am catching up to someone on the registry and have no idea of what they have, it bothers me. Maybe it would be better to obscure the name, even though you can give yourself any set name you like. How about people that have a complete PCGS set and they get to take over spots on both sites. I try to collect only NGC, but some coins can only be found with a PCGS holder. I know we all buy the coin, not the holder

I like the PCGS reg sets because there are a lot of the photos are high quality TrueViews. Many NGC reg set photos don't compare to TrueViews which is one reason I think helping people taking better photos of NGC slabbed coins would be a good idea.

I like the idea of encouraging pictures, and we do some things to do that (best presented award, ties go to he/she with the most photos, etc.). But imaging coins can be a quite an obstacle for some folks so anything that feels too much like they're being penalized is probably too harsh.

I know for many of us the hurdles are low, but if you're not a very savvy tech user, you might have to:

1. Buy a digital camera

2. Get the coins from your safety deposit box

3. Learn how to use it

4. Figure out how to take pictures that aren't terrible

--a. Macro lens

--b. Lighting set up

--c. etc.

--a. Find the software

For many of us here these are tiny hurdles, or not hurdles at all... but think of some of the less tech savvy people you know in your life...

I'd actually like to combine some great encouragement techniques (open to suggestions) with some mods I have in mind to make the process easier.

I have this problem with number 5a,b,and c. I wish there was a easier way of doing this.

John :)

In Windows Vista, you have the SNIPPING TOOL. I'm sure there are guides online already how to use it. I haven't looked at it myself.

Generally all you have to do is.. Open file, select around the coin and crop, then save as, choose JPG and save

You can't give too many points for Images. MS 70 Coins in the Silver Eagle Registry range from a score of 725- 950. If you give 50% for Images then a person with 8 MS70 Silver Eagles with an average score of 820 will get almost 10,000 points which would put them in the top 20 based on the present scores so a person with about 1/3 of the collection would be in the top 20.

By the same token if a person is awarded 5 or 10 points for an Image then this means nothing in a context of 800 points. MS 69 that gets 119 points would be awarded about 178 points with 50% Images so aperson with a complete set of MS69s could in some cases fare better than one with a mixture of MS69 and MS70 with no Images.

You can't give too many points for Images. MS 70 Coins in the Silver Eagle Registry range from a score of 725- 950. If you give 50% for Images then a person with 8 MS70 Silver Eagles with an average score of 820 will get almost 10,000 points which would put them in the top 20 based on the present scores so a person with about 1/3 of the collection would be in the top 20.

By the same token if a person is awarded 5 or 10 points for an Image then this means nothing in a context of 800 points. MS 69 that gets 119 points would be awarded about 178 points with 50% Images so aperson with a complete set of MS69s could in some cases fare better than one with a mixture of MS69 and MS70 with no Images.

It could still be decisive in other sets though. There are over 250 coins in a complete lincoln cent registry set. 5 or 10 points per coin would equate into over 1250 to 2500 points over the entire set.

This is true. The key word then becomes 'in other sets".Do you have a different score system for coins with a different number of slots?One set of scores for a collection that is full with 24 coins and one that is full with 250 coins?

While it would be decisive in the Lincoln set then it would mean nothing in the Silver Eagle in the MS70 category. Where it might make a difference is in the MS69 category where 102-119 points are the norm. 24 times 5 or 10 would then be like having an extra coin or twoThen the person with all images would get a better score if they had all MS 69 as opposed to the MS69 with no Images..

I read a thread the other day where a person was complaining ab out people using the same coin ina Registry that he had Purchased or not being able to enter it.

NGC replied that the certification of the New registry would be entered by the New Buyer and that if it existed in anold Registry then the entrant in the old Registry will get a E- Mail to either delete it or show that they still have it within a certain period of time and some ignore it.

If somebody is going to refuse to delete a coin that is no longer in their possession then some are going to try to fudge the results.

This is a good topic and I know that I enjoy looking at other collecter's coin(s) to study their marks and placement on the coin. Of course this help the collector in their understanding of grading that does vary from coin to coin, different series as well as 3rd party grading companies.

That said it has always been a personal preference to have your coins digitally captured for personal or online enjoyment. I like to have photos if possible and I have all the necessary equipment, but I lack the skills to shoot the coins and capture their individual traits (i.e. luster, strike, toning or keeping those blast whites from taking someone's eye out :) ). I have done a few coins but I don't really like the way the photos turned out, so in some cases I opted to not have a photo until I can have one done for me.

I would like to see every coin graded/slabbed to have a photo taken by the grading company, which would make a great database to research and learn from. Even charging for this service then becomes a burden for the grading Co. I believe this is why PCGS has removed their TrueView form the Sub form due to the increase in time to process coins and get them back to the customer (creating longer back logs) in a timely manner. At what point would we want to be or deem acceptable, longer wait times, worried your coins don't get a fair look due to a grader being hurried to get your coin to the photo dept?

What I would like to see is more 1964 dated coins for sale :)

For the ones that can't get photos, I say take good care of your coins so at some point if I buy them I will try to get them a photo for all to see :)

This is true.I have a mixture of MS69 and MS70 Silver Eagles.I have about 12 of them in MS70 and am not ready to enter them in the Registry at this time.I already had a 1987 A.S.E in MS69. Recently I sent in 5 coins with my free voucher.One of them was a raw 1987.It came back as a Mint error in MS69 called a Struck Thru Error..They are not common but I was told that if you look hard enough that you could find one although it might not be MS69. I suspect that people do not send them in because they look damaged.It is very small and in a bad light I did not notice it or I probably would not have included it.

In this case I am sure that others would enjoy seeing it as an Image.Perhaps a few extra points could be granted for something like this.Otherwise an MS69 and MS70 etc look alike and I don't think people should be granted extra points for Coins that are exactly alike and the only difference is they lack an Image..

By the same token I purchased a 20th Anniversary Set from the U.S. Mint for $109.00 when they came out.I bought it mainly as I did not want to miss out as I did for the 1995W. I did not have time to read all the bulletins and was not a member of NGC. I opened up the box it was mailed in and looked at the Coins that were in thier capsules and keep the mint packaging.I did not know that they had to be forwarded to NGC unsealed" to get the Special Black Label.

I have everything except container with the Postage on it.I have to be satisfied with getting the Label on only the Reverse Proof and the fact that just the Reverse Proof is more than I paid for the entire set.Has to be a Uniform set of rules for everybody.

--a. Find the software

This group of arguments doesn't hold any water at all.

In one of my main categories, U.S. Type set, the top guy has ZERO pictures. His collection is 93% complete. It has won the top award for the category two years running.

According to the Numsimedia dollar value, my U.S. Type set is worth $309,789.20 with not all coins counted. His set has got to worth a good deal more than my set, YET he can't take pictures? You mean to tell me a guy who can afford to put together a collection is that worth well over a half million dollars can't afford to take pictures or learn how to do it? Give me a break. :pullhair:

I have 103 coins photographed in my set. Among the top five collections in my category there is a grand total of 58 coins pictures. I have write-ups for 98 of my coins and intend to get it up to all 103 of them by the end of the year (+ whatever coins I might be able to add.). Among the 5 top collections, only 83 coins have write-ups. Why do these big collectors have so little to say? I can't understand that.

Credit is due to "Zakmar" who has 105 photos. He's in 6th place and has put forth a good effort to offer something to other collectors.

There is one collection, and I'll name names, "Cardinal" that is "obscured." In other words the people who are supposed to be competing with him (I actually think “Cardinal” is a foundation, which raises other issues) can’t even find out what coins this person (group) has. In other words that set has ZERO educational value. No photos, no write-ups and you can't see what he's got. Why does NGC allow “Cardinal” to do that? If Cardinal is unwilling to show the contents of his registry set, then he should be moved to a non competitive category.

I do not like it when people set their sets as obscurd. I will admit that when I first started I didn't add pictures or comments. But I am making some progress on getting the pictures and comments added as I can.

I agree with you, Bill, and also believe that obscured sets should be relegated to the Signature Set area.

I think one of the categories I participate in has the top 3 slots taken by obscured sets.

It would be pretty cool to have a ranking that was only based on photos so you knew where to go if your primary goal was to see high quality photos, maybe with a coin category or type, but with all coins getting the same weight, just quantity and quality of photos being the differentiators.

Just a thought.