• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Die cracks and Grading

5 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have a beautiful 1936-D FB merc that I think has the possibility of a very high grade. My questions concerns die cracks. I've read in various ANA literature that "Manufacturing defects do not usually alter the grade of a coin."

Other than a die crack, (which actually looks kind of cool) my coin is a stunning example. Superb strike, great eye appeal etc.

How would an NGC grader treat this situation? Do "manufacturing" defects such as I've mentioned affect the grade NGC gives to coins?

Thanks!

Andy

Typical die cracks will seldom affect a coins grade. In fact, many feel they add character as they can be quite interesting. The only exception I could see is if the nature of the crack was extremely severe or there were many cracks that were very overall distracting. Even in that case, if it was an early type coin, it probably would not matter. FYI, this thread should be in the numismatics Q&A, not here. smile.gif

• Administrator

I'm moving this post to the Q&A forum in the Numismatics section, as this isn't really a general question.

Arch