• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Railroad/Railway Related World Coins or Medals

77 posts in this topic

I am interested in any information that can be provided regarding any known coins or medals from any country of origin, including the US, that have some sort of connection to the railway, railroad etc. It can be either an image on the obverse or reverse, a commemorative of such, a person related to the industry, basically anything that can be tied to the railway/railroad. The more specific the better.

I will of course utilize the internet to search as well but just thought I might get some quicker immediate leads on here.

Thanks,

Rey

if you'll settle for railroad tracks, the cu-ni ¥500 commemorative of the Seikan Tunnel opening in Meiji 63 (1988) cu-ni fills the bill. The Seikan Tunnel connects Honshu and Hokkaido and is the longest railroad tunnel in the world, beating out the Chunnel between England and France by about 1,000 feet.

In trying to track down the Mexican train coin that I thought I remembered (1950 5 Pesos), I came across this site. link

I'd also do an ebay search something like this one, link, to see what pops up. You can always trim it back by eliminating common items that you don't want to see. Like if you don't want stock certificates, add -stock to the search.

Yep. I also spotted a 1986 Vancouver dollar while searching. And, of course, there's the classic $8 coin of a couple years ago... :applause: (I think greggy had something to do with it)

Thank you, I have the 1981 Canadian Trans Canada Railway Proof set and am currently watching a 1986 Canadian Dollar.

Also looking at a few of the Mexico 5 Pesos as well.

What is the $8 coin you are referring to above???

Thanks for the tips.

Rey

lifted from gatewest...

2005 Proof $8 Railway 2-Coin Set

Commemoration of the Chinese Railway Workers on the 120th Anniversary of the Canadian Pacific Railway

To persuade British Columbia to come into the fold of Confederation in 1871, Canada promised to build a transcontinental link by rail to join the commerce of the east to that of the west. No easy feat, the massive project of the Canadian Pacific Railway entailed cutting through mountains and building bridges to cross rivers and valleys. Thousands of Chinese workers toiled hard to help build the Canadian Pacific Railway through the Rocky Mountains of western Canada during the 19th century. Between 1880 and 1885 many of these workers lost their lives in the process of construction. Their sacrifices helped greatly to achieve a united Canada. For their dedication, Canadians should be proud of those Chinese workers who helped build the Canadian Pacific Railway, which was officially

completed on November 7, 1885.

The first coin depicts a scene from the Canadian Pacific Railway Archives (A-11416) of an empty ballast train standing on the rail bridge spanning the Fraser River near Cisco, B.C. On the second coin, Royal Canadian Mint engravers have reproduced the Memorial to Commemorate the Chinese Railway Workers in Canada, designed by artist Eldon Garnet, which was erected in 1989 in Toronto, Canada.

The obverse features the portrait of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, by artist Susanna Blunt.

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

Special features :

-bi-metallic coin, with gold-plating on the inner core

Face value : $8

Mintage : 20,000

Composition : 99.99% Pure silver

Weight (g) : 32.15

Diameter (mm) : 40

Edge : Serrated

Finish : Proof

Certiticate : Serialized

Artist : Mint engravers

Encapsulated and presented in a display case and protected by a beauty box.

This product to be released January 10, 2005.

41780-2005cad8d.jpg.68eb18b71a12d5b0490f3f2d46453551.jpg

Check out that Russian site I linked to. It looks pretty thorough. The post mint enameled things are a bit much, though.

On the second coin, Royal Canadian Mint engravers have reproduced the Memorial to Commemorate the Chinese Railway Workers in Canada, designed by artist Eldon Garnet, which was erected in 1989 in Toronto, Canada.

It looks like a worker is balancing a tool on his nose.

It is his right arm extended up into the air. Not sure why. The Designer and Engraver of the Obverse of the two coins are named in Charlton, but for the Reverse, both the Railway Bridge and the Chinese Workers the Designer and Engraver is identified only as RCM Staff. Who knows why they did that.

Rey

The latest addition. Canadian Two Coin Set - Two Eight Dollar Coins from 2005. Commemoration of the Chinese Railway Workers on the 120th Anniversary of the Canadian Pacific Railway. To persuade British Columbia to come into the fold of Confederation in 1871, Canada promised to build a transcontinental link by rail to join the commerce of the east to the west. The massive project entailed cutting through mountains and building bridger to cross rivers and valleys.

Thousands of Chinese workers toiled hard to help build the Railway through the Rocky Mountains of westerm Canada during the 19th Century. Between 1880 and 1885 many of these workers lost their lives in the process of construction. These sacrifices helped greatly to achieve a united Canada.

The Railway was officially completed on November 7, 1885.

Rey

Images of the two Reverses and two Obverses which are slightly different profiles of Her Majesty. (Still trying to fine tune my Ultra Cameo Proof images. Also please excuse the interference from the holders, I didn't dare remove the coins)

BridgeRev.jpg

BridgeObv.jpg

ChineseWorkerRev.jpg

ChineseWorkerObv.jpg

Nice coin Ray!

I also like the history that comes with the $8 coin. Currently I only have the $8 2007 coin but I think I will start on the whole series.

John :)

I'm partial to this silver/niobium piece, also from Austria:

662.jpg663.jpg

It's the 2004 25€ bimetal coin celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Semmering Alpine Railway. You can read about it on the Austrian Mint web site here.

Beijim

Beijim,

Thanks for the link and the info. on this. Very interesting piece, I like it.

Here is the 1981 Canadian Proof Finish Dollar commemorating the 100th anniversary of the approval by the Canadian government to build the Trans-Canada Railway.

Rey

1981CanadianRailwayDollarObv.jpg

1981CanadianRailwayDollarRev.jpg

I like it a lot. Will have to pull out my German English Dictionary to get all the words, my German from school is pretty rusty, I can tell it s.peaks of cities and the railway. Nice original looking piece.

Rey

Here's the sellers description.

You are bidding on an extraordinary Swiss Badenfahrt 1947 festival silver medal.

This medal was struck to mark the Badenfahrt 1947 culture festival Baden, Switzerland.

Obverse: Depicts a local girl in tradition clothing. Legend in German: "100 jahre schweizer eisenbahn" for "100 years Swiss railway" in English.

Reverse: Legend in German about the city of Baden, the city of City of the hot springs, and industry.

Measures 33 mm in Diam.

Weight: 15.1 gr.

Condition: Extra Fine, Original patina, uncleaned.

Here is my latest addition, a rare early railroad medal.

I had posted the seller's images in the US Medal Post but they did not do the piece justice so I am posting here where it should go.

1844 Berlin Industrial Exposition and Early Railroad Bronze medal. This is one of the earliest railroad medals. Obverse features Germania seated, sheathed sword on belt, holding laurel wreath, other hand resting on rock with - "Erinnerung an die Ausstellung Deutscher Gewerbserzeugnisse zu Berlin 1844". Reverse has a highly detailed wreath, which consists of five panels portraying a steam ship, weaving machine, ore crusher and smelter, and two other early machines. In the center is a very early 1-1-1 open locomotive with open passenger car crossing a bridge. Circumference states - "Vorwaerts mit Deutscher Fleisse und Deutscher Kraft". Highly detailed engraving. Hallmarked "Loos, Lorenz, and Schilling". Approx. 44 mm (1 3/4").

Rey

1844BerlinObv2.jpg

1844BerlinRev2.jpg

Two more to add to the lot.

1950 Mexico Southern Railroad 5 Pesos NGC MS 64 and a 1907 medal commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Argentinia Railway.

Rey

1950SouthernRailroad5PesosMS64Re-1.jpg

1950SouthernRailroad5PesosMS64Rev.jpg

1907ArgentinaRailroad50thAnniversar.jpg

1907ArgentinaRailroad50thAnniver-1.jpg