jgenn

Member
  • Content Count

    428
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    5

2 Followers

Recent Profile Visitors

1,975 profile views
  1. All I can contribute are these pictures
  2. The 80% concept works in the other direction too. The least valuable 20% of the collection will be the hardest to sell for anything like what it cost to acquire. Please consider just donating those to a coin club with young numismatists.
  3. Yowza! The top set, representing the angled setup, I think, are astounding!
  4. Welcome to the Journals, Michael! It sounds like you are one of many coin collectors that like to collect current mint issues and that you are following in your great-grandfathers tradition. Have you though about creating a year set from your great-grandfather's birth year? ~jack
  5. There is nothing wrong with responsible estate planning. I commend you for thinking ahead and committing to get the best value for your heirs by handling the eventual disposition of your collection yourself. As for a home safe, I recommend a large gun safe that can be bolted to your basement floor. The better ones have good fire resistance, too.
  6. Ha, ha, that's some way to get attention. I agree, the owner doesn't check email or no longer has that coin. I have used Heritage "buy from owner" to sell several of my coins. It works well for ones that you got at a good price, not so well for the rest.
  7. First off, congratulations to all the registry participants and the winners of the 2019 registry awards. As for me, I won a Classic Set award for my Mexico City 8 reales Pillar Dollars of Charles III (1760-1771). This is my third major award and I had never posted about them in the past, but for this one I will make an exception. I want to highlight the wonderfully broad approach that the NGC judges have chosen in selecting sets for their awards. I haven't yet browsed through all of the other winning sets but I'm sure that mine is more of an outlier than most. To start with, the advertised criteria for Classic Sets is "US or World Sets, 1792-1964" so my set has somehow slipped through the time-frame constraint. But the point I want to emphasize is that, using my set as an example, you don't necessarily need the highest grade coins to be considered for an award. I built much of this set from raw examples -- and most of my coins fall in the XF range! Now, I know that many collectors that use the NGC journals or forums are not keen on registry participation for all of the valid reasons that you've posted but maybe some of you might reconsider your opinions. I believe there are many magnificent collections out there that are just waiting to be recognized. Here is, perhaps, my least impressive coin from my set, grade-wise. VF details, but still a quite scarce variety. ~jack
  8. I should add that a nice appearance is beneficial to details graded coins. You will never get the value of a problem free coin but some folks like to buy attractive details coins when they can't afford a graded one. Of course, even an ugly gold coin is worth it's bullion value.
  9. You will know the value of your coin when you find someone to buy it. Until then, you can estimate the value based on the recent sales of G$1 1849 Open Wreath AU details as shown in auction results on eBay, Stack's Bowers, Heritage etc.
  10. So when did this extend to dollars? My understanding, from a quote by John L Riddle, melter and refiner at the New Orleans mint, in his "Monograph of the Silver Dollar, Good and Bad", 1845, was that "The policy of our government has been to issue a great preponderance of halves, and the smaller denominations of coins, under the impression that they would be less likely to be exported from the country."
  11. I have a few holes left in my Colonial Mexico City 8 reales sets that are very scarce to rare varieties that I would fill with any grade level and would not exclude "details" coins. It all depends on what series you are trying to complete.
  12. Like most Americans, my ancestors arrived from other shores. One Grandmother is Swedish -- although she arrived well after this coin was minted.
  13. The underlying reason contributes to why there were mostly trade dollars vs trade 1/2 dollars or trade 1/4 dollars. It may be the same amount of precious metal but the labor to count or assay is 2x or 4x, respectively.
  14. I just bought my copy. Probably should have bought it sooner but better late than never, eh?
  15. You might consider a visit to local coin shows to talk to dealers or look at setting up a table to sell your inventory. If you are near any of the cities that host the bigger coin shows, that would be a way to meet dealers that might buy large lots.