All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Jeff_Pad

pcgs

That agrees with what my dealer friend was saying that NGC is grading tougher
  3. wking994

pcgs

Just some info on grading standards between the two grading companies. 3 months ago I did a grading test with NGC. I cracked 6 different year Morgans all MS65 from PCGS.. 2 were brand new slabs graded at the end of last year. 3 were graded almost 3 years ago, and one in an old green holder. 5 came back MS64 one came back MS63+..........
  4. Today
  5. I too love the reverses of these coins! It harkens back to a different time when men were men and sheep were scared 😂. I am seriously wanting to get into these old 20 Marks Justin not sure where to start in terms of rarity.
  6. I think the simple answer is: rarity. The total mintage for the Heinrich XXII (KM 125) is a mere 1510 coins, as opposed to the over 1.6 million Wilhelms (KM 537) minted in 1915. There are obviously far fewer surviving specimens of the former, thus, much higher price. I love the reverses of both of those coins, by the way.
  7. FS: 2017 200th Anniversary Sovereign MS 69 DPL NGC $500 plus shipping - USPS
  8. The only way a 59 D cent would be silver would be if it was struck on a silver dime planchet. Weight would be the first thing to check. If it weighs close to 3.1 grams it is a plated cent. If it weighs close to 2.5 grams then you may have something.
  9. Well the quarter is low grade and it is a Philadelphia issue and none of the Philadelphia barber quarters in that grade are worth slabbing.
  10. Thank you for the information about what are mules. confirms my initial thoughts about the A.
  11. The 1 reale would be nice, if it didn't have a hole in it. It has some value but the hole brings it down a LOT. The half real has some value but I can't say how much. The Jefferson dollar is worth a dollar, and the half dollars are worth whatever the going rate for silver is. They don't really have much if any premium over that. The 1856 seated I believe is a dime (could be a half dime, they are kind of hard to tell apart when all you have is a picture of the obv and no size reference) Don't know which mint it is from but there isn't much value difference between them until you get to XF or better. Wear wise this one looks fairly nice probably a VF. If there is no damage this is probably the best coin in the group.
  12. Planchets at are internally flawed (laminations) may not ring like they normally would, These are referred to as "dumb" or "mute" planchets. The composition can be perfectly fine, but drop them and they go "thud".
  13. A mule is a coin struck using two dies that were not intended to be used together. I can't tell if the A is showing machine doubling or something else. Since i don't see doubling elsewhere I doubt it is a doubled die, I also doubt they were doing individual letter repunching, so most likely it is machine doubling.
  14. Yes, it was plated and now someone has unplated it. It didn't come from the mint like that.
  15. Only in the sense that they never should have used copper plated zinc. You get breaks in the copper plating and the zinc planchet corrodes fairly rapidly.
  16. The 85o is a pretty coin that won't grade above ms63. The reverse is nice but the breast is really weak. Typical of that mint . A really nice common Morgen.
  17. That is gorgeous!!! I bought my first medals in Pittsburgh at the ANA. I like that medals are way rarer than a coin from the same period, yet many are still somewhat affordable in high grades. I have started collecting what I like instead of what everyone else places value on. I'm sure that piece is going to make the new owner very happy.
  18. No problem, I'm always glad to help. There are a lot of interesting errors and varieties out there to look for, if that's your area of interest. Our host's Variety Plus page is a great place to get started: https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/ Cheers! ~Tom
  19. The second is an example of the official medal for the Alaska Yukon Pacific Expo, held in Seattle, from June 1 through October 16, 1909. It was minted at the expo in several different metals, along with several other medals, watch fobs, etc. All are listed in Hibler and Kappen's book of so-called dollars. That one looks to be either HK 354 (Bronze) or HK 355 (Copper). My internet is very erratic tonight because of the stormy weather, so I will just provide a link to some more info here: So-calleddollar.com
  20. Thank you for ur warm welcome and the honest information. As I said I am very new. But I do find it fascinating. So I will surely stick around for interesting learning.
  1. Load more activity