Michael Byrne

  • entries
    14
  • comments
    219
  • views
    586

Changing Our Coinage

2 2
MIKE BYRNE

466 views

Hi everyone. I'm also a member of the ANA. We have some very good and smart collectors. We have kids that you don't have here with I believe is good. Now I have been there a while. And I  have read fifty blogs here there journals. And fifty forums that's were you ask a question of ask for help. Now these one hundred combined blogs and forums all what to change this and change that. Well here are some figures according to the Treasury Department of they made a dollar coin they would lose 23 million a year for the next ten years. If they get rid of the cent ten million a year for the next ten years. 

 

Now I'm tired of answering this. For every action there is a reaction. Just because other countries change their coinage don't mean we do. Most are socialist countries anyway. We're different were a democracy. We have to work on a budget funny but even the socialist countries have their Presidents or Queens or Dictators on it. Get rid of the cent. Civics. What happens to the employees . Gone. What happens to the truckers and railways that deliverd these gone. If you buy something for 1.99 be ready to pay 2.05. They would up the price not go down. Everyone is an expert. This is a good one get rid of the Presidents on our coinage. And put what? These men keep us free so we can enjoy this hobby  they represent this country so do you know proof sets and Silver sets used to be given to Presidents and Dignitaries of other countries?. And to there children because we make the best circulated money in the world..

We  could but many different things on our the change. Bugs. Animals. Sun shines other famous people who come out on commens.I just wish I could read a blog or or a journal were these experts had done there homework.  Where they have what happens facts of what happen if this is changed. Most would be a major loss over a ten year period. Tell me what happens to those with families who get laid off. How much it would cost for new dies. How about our price going up? Look at the whole picture not one part of it.Many say we should change the dollar. No, tell me why and give me numbers. How about all the vending machiens ? They would have to be changed. I want the whole picture with facts on everything including the people who make our coinage and deliver it. The increase in what we pay. Then write you expert opinion. I'm no.expert I just know what they tell me . The people in charge with all the figures. And I know everyone will not like the new designs. Then they will say that's not what I want I wanted something else. Think it over. Change the rules now at the mint.  Go ahead and dream. Then write. Thanks Mike

2 2


39 Comments


Recommended Comments



On 4/5/2019 at 5:35 PM, Mokiechan said:

 I am not so sure the American Public cares that much about the designs on our minor coinage.  These days, with debit cards, apple pay, and even apps like grubhub, folks are just not using less and less currency or coins all the time.  I think maybe a gradual change in designs, say starting with the Dime, would be basically unnoticed by the public.  After all, we have changed the Jefferson Nickel quite a bit, we have been going for 20 years plus with new quarter reverses every year, and we even chanced the reverse of the venerable Cent in 2009/2010.  So change is is entirely possible especially with new blood at the Mint and active lobbying by CCAC members (which I know for a fact is occurring). 

Your right. Eventually this will be  cashless society. Some already collect credit cards. I would start now and get a good jump on them. I like the feel of even a few pieces of change in my hand. In would hate to see it but it will be here. Thanks Mike.

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 4/6/2019 at 2:32 PM, Mohawk said:

Wow....you've really been through a lot.  I've been told before that you never know what someone else may be going through, and I'm definitely having one of those moments with you right now.  I'm very sorry all of that has happened to you, I really am.  I see that coins have been a lifeline for you and that you have waged a difficult and brave struggle and that you continue to do so everyday.  It's admirable and a lot of people would have just given up.  But you didn't.  Knowing this about you now, it puts some things in a different perspective.  Coins have been a lifeline for me, too, though in a different way.  And we both love coins, so we do have that in common.  I did take a look at your British tokens, and I found that collection of yours to be very enjoyable.  Sorry I was so sensitive about you initial post and I'm glad that I didn't offend you. 

Have a great weekend as well.  Thanks for the kind and well thought out responses.  Keep on blogging......you have people who really enjoy what you do.  It's great to do something that makes people happy.

Best Regards

~Tom

 

Thanks Tom. It's hard keeping up with everyone's opinion. If they took time to comment must also. Yes a very hard time. But the day I re gained consciousness I told my wife no sympathy that does not heal. Prayers do. We all have our problems. Many worse than mine But We have to adapt to the world I have tried. But I was a member of a group going back to the fourteen hundreds. Two gentleman were coming back from war.. Both had lost there legs. We have each one fifty thousand dollars to get started and then we rebuilt there homes to make things easy for them. Back then the legs were of  poor quaility. We even lowered there entire kitchen and bath room. It did not  make the papers we do things for all sorts of charities doesn't matter if they needed it that got it. Just think of how better the world would be if that was done every were what a great world. Thanks for your kind words Tom but many others need more help than me. Mike

Share this comment


Link to comment

As a long time coin collector (1960’s), I’ve seen a lot of gimmicks from the mint trying to stimulate the coin market.  When I first started the only mint issues were the proof and uncirculated sets.  Today we are seeing so many different coins issued from the mint that the average collector rarely has the budget to keep up.  One area that I feel could give a big push to the coin market and draw in new collectors would be to re-introduce the “classic coinage”.  Every year the mint could showcase a coin from America’s history and replace one of the Presidents with a previous classic. Imagine having a 2020 Standing Liberty Quarter show up in your coinage! Sure, it most likely would be clad, but imagine the interest it would spark!

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, RJOSTER said:

As a long time coin collector (1960’s), I’ve seen a lot of gimmicks from the mint trying to stimulate the coin market.  When I first started the only mint issues were the proof and uncirculated sets.  Today we are seeing so many different coins issued from the mint that the average collector rarely has the budget to keep up.  One area that I feel could give a big push to the coin market and draw in new collectors would be to re-introduce the “classic coinage”.  Every year the mint could showcase a coin from America’s history and replace one of the Presidents with a previous classic. Imagine having a 2020 Standing Liberty Quarter show up in your coinage! Sure, it most likely would be clad, but imagine the interest it would spark!

I would just like to see a complete turn of all our current coinage, a new Cent through Half Dollar with new obverse and reverse designs.  We have the incentive to change with our 250th Anniversary looming in the not too distant future, maybe change the coin designs with traditional elements.  For example, I would love to see Frank Gasparro's Liberty design on our Half Dollar. 

gasparroliberty.jpg

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, Mokiechan said:

I would just like to see a complete turn of all our current coinage, a new Cent through Half Dollar with new obverse and reverse designs.  We have the incentive to change with our 250th Anniversary looming in the not too distant future, maybe change the coin designs with traditional elements.  For example, I would love to see Frank Gasparro's Liberty design on our Half Dollar. 

gasparroliberty.jpg

I have longed for Frank Gasparro's Liberty since the first time I saw it as a senior in high school! … And yes I was hoping for this small dollar design over the SBA Dollar design. Today, what a classic this design would make as long as the mint is in retro mode. :) 

Gary

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 4/6/2019 at 7:29 PM, Mokiechan said:

But no mention of the cent eradication as a proximate cause.

I don't know the answer for there inflation. It could be anyting. They pay every married couple to have only Yes I children a year. Seven hundred. Now they don't say you can't have more but you will lose the seven hundred. It can be anything I don't follow there economy. Sorry. Mike.

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 4/6/2019 at 8:52 AM, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

"We have to work on a budget"

Uh...the United States has no budget. We are growing the national debt every hour, becoming more in tangled into the London Bankers Web of Deception. 

"What happens to the truckers and railways that deliverd these gone."

As far as the Railroad, they will still function...there is only one way to haul the Heaviest Freight and at a constant speed...Union Pacific Mainline protected by the Dept. Of Defense for several reasons. 

 "If you buy something for 1.99 be ready to pay 2.05"

Your Exactly Right about that, the amount of Money rounded up can cause a hyper inflationary environment, very dangerous to eliminate the Cent.

"Tell me what happens to those with families who get laid off"

It's very difficult, we've had to Survive before and do without till better jobs were earned, many sleepless nights, coin collecting put on hold, many coins sold...life deals some bad hands Brother.

I feel your Pain. I understand what you're saying..it's hard to stay positive. New designs should be in place...always...

It seems tougher these days as I blame the Bankers...the next time they mess up...and they have been...we will pay for it. The bail in...ie, negative interest rates is spreading from Japan like a virus...

I see the Day when Gold and Silver coins will be used in commerce again...bad money always pushes the good money out....peace 

You bring up a great point. We're not in good shape. Twenty three billion in debt and everything is still going up in price. You can't blame that on coins. The Treasury Department turns a profit every year with the mint. So I can understand a change but not get rid of anything. Thanks very much . Mike

Share this comment


Link to comment
Just now, MIKE BYRNE said:

 

That was not me who said that. Never saw that article . There are many reasons for inflation and it's not coins that I know. You can't blame inflation in a cent. Finding know why they have a problem . I think were headed for one and collectors will suffer greatly with increases in coins..  Thanks for bringing that up. Mike.

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 4/8/2019 at 6:33 AM, MIKE BYRNE said:

Thanks Tom. It's hard keeping up with everyone's opinion. If they took time to comment must also. Yes a very hard time. But the day I re gained consciousness I told my wife no sympathy that does not heal. Prayers do. We all have our problems. Many worse than mine But We have to adapt to the world I have tried. But I was a member of a group going back to the fourteen hundreds. Two gentleman were coming back from war.. Both had lost there legs. We have each one fifty thousand dollars to get started and then we rebuilt there homes to make things easy for them. Back then the legs were of  poor quaility. We even lowered there entire kitchen and bath room. It did not  make the papers we do things for all sorts of charities doesn't matter if they needed it that got it. Just think of how better the world would be if that was done every were what a great world. Thanks for your kind words Tom but many others need more help than me. Mike

Well I'm not religious and I don't pray, but I do wish you all the best.

~Tom

Share this comment


Link to comment
16 hours ago, MIKE BYRNE said:

You bring up a great point. We're not in good shape. Twenty three billion in debt and everything is still going up in price. You can't blame that on coins. The Treasury Department turns a profit every year with the mint. So I can understand a change but not get rid of anything. Thanks very much . Mike

It's crazy, the bankers interest on our National Debt is getting larger every Day. They hold our leaders by strings. Remember...."give me control of a nations money and I care not who makes the laws".

They steal our wealth from us...check this out...and this is controversial...during the depression and now certain people think FDR was Great? He allowed the bankers to steal Americans wealth. Took our Gold then raised the value. Allowed bankers to steal the rare dated coins and errors when we turned in the money. Then put the same poor people back to work for sloppy soup food or a dime/quarter a Day. Then placed regulations on their earning abilities all while we built the corporations dams, buildings, offices and things the crooks now call home? Yeah, he was great, depending on which side of the table you sit at.

I am not anti-Government. I just feel like we are going to be headed for some tough times, look, everyone is in debt now. No savings, and when the Feds allowed the crooks in New York to handle Sovereign Retirement Funds....read Martin Armstrong) you know how that's gonna end...I truly believe we are going to be using gold and silver in commerce some day...people are scared, even the dumb ones are trying to get gold and silver bullion...what day you Sir?....peace

Edited by Numismatic, A.A.S.

Share this comment


Link to comment

P.S. When the Govt. shutdown, people could not even make it 2 weeks. Most employees had to find another job. Now what's wrong with the Federal Reserve Banking (private) System in this country. They say no to minorities funding projects or Caucasian business investment but we're the top bidder for paintings that go in the St. Louis Fed bank at around $100,000 to $360,000 a pop...and that's what a defector whistle blew...what we don't know about Huh?

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 4/9/2019 at 5:39 PM, Mohawk said:

Well I'm not religious and I don't pray, but I do wish you all the best.

~Tom

Tom I'm sorry for being late. You see I'm a member of the ANA I'm number one out of 64,000 members. That's from writing blogs commenting on them. It's ok that your not religious. Your words speak volumes. That's what couts. Thanks Mike

Share this comment


Link to comment

Yes being born in Ireland and coming through Ellis Island I know.well the history of the land of my birth. Yes we have fought in more ways than any other country. We also built cities. We are a war minded people. Centuries of it. Thank you. 

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now