• entries
    176
  • comments
    21
  • views
    37

1 1
American Silver Eagles

Entry posted by moondoggy · - 261 views

Greetings all.  It has been awhile but I am back.  Have a question about American Silver Eagles.  Given the current price of silver  and what the U.S. Mint is charging for these has anyone backed off purchasing these ?  When silver was much higher they sold in the $50 range but now when silver is so low they are and have been charging the same !   Thoughts

Mike


  Report Entry
1 1


21 Comments


Recommended Comments

Well, I'm not a regular buyer of the numismatic silver eagles, but I have noticed that the pricing has remained static.  I think the US Mint is doing this simply because they can.  Their customers have gotten used to paying these prices for the numismatic ASE's and the US Mint is taking advantage of the increased profits......after all, they're not raising prices, are they?  And they know that serious series collectors will pay whatever is asked for them.....think about the whole debacle in 2009 when no numismatic ASE's were made and the insanity that follows anytime a "special" ASE is produced.  Maybe the US Mint is using this as an opportunity to make up for some of the money lost by minting cents and that which is lost by the BEP by printing $1 bills.................

Share this comment


Link to comment

I agree with Mohawk!!  We all had silver eagle sets before 2009 or so. First the price of silver went up and then the mint started pumping out many variations of each year that clearly were not minted on the coins -- ( so called ) . Most of us dropped out of the scam of U.S. Silver Marketing and got back to our regular coin collecting.

Just My Opinion but --- best of luck bro!! :)

Rick

Share this comment


Link to comment

Haaa----  I finally looked at the posters name here for this post!!!  Moondoggy ---- What's up bud?????  

Been a while since I even seen a post from you. How are those great Franklin's doing of yours?

Share this comment


Link to comment
30 minutes ago, Six Mile Rick said:

I agree with Mohawk!!  We all had silver eagle sets before 2009 or so. First the price of silver went up and then the mint started pumping out many variations of each year that clearly were not minted on the coins -- ( so called ) . Most of us dropped out of the scam of U.S. Silver Marketing and got back to our regular coin collecting.

Just My Opinion but --- best of luck bro!! :)

Rick

Agreed Rick.  Silver Eagles have very little to offer me any longer since I evolved into a thematic collector.  The eagle on the reverse is absolutely horrible from an accuracy and naturalistic standpoint......these are some eagles that have no place in my bird collection!  But, then again, if want to illustrate a really horrible eagle............

~Tom

Edited by Mohawk

Share this comment


Link to comment

Hey Rick doing good....  Have spent the last 4 years building a hot rod (23 T Bucket)  but missed all my buds here too..  So I renewed my membership and hope to get caught up with all.  Franklins are doing good.  In fact I just sent in a few more for grading.  Glad to know you are still cruisin around here.

Share this comment


Link to comment

Good point on the silver eagles. I remember when the mint instituted the policy to tie their gold commemoratives to the spot price of gold. They were in fear of losing money because of the rapid rise in the spot price of gold. Fair enough, so why is the reverse not true with silver? Forgive me for my cynicism, but why is the mint not as concerned for the wallets of their customers? Besides that, it's nice to have you back moondoggy!!!!  

Share this comment


Link to comment

Hey Rick, no makes no matter to me.  I've never judged someone on what they collect or where their interest lie..  I"m not that closed minded.  and if there are some here that are in that prejudice group their comments really are of no interest to me........Also being better is an abstract term.  Whats make one collector better than someone else.   I myself would refer to those types as dickheads......

Share this comment


Link to comment

If u can wait until they start showing up in coin shops u can pick them up in P.C.G.S. or N.G.C. MS/ 69 for less then the mint charges. some times $10 more in a 70!

Share this comment


Link to comment

Welcome back, moondoggy. Don't worry about anyone looking down on your Eagles. There is hardly anyone on here these days, and those of us who are here like most everything. (thumbsu

Share this comment


Link to comment
3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Welcome back, moondoggy. Don't worry about anyone looking down on your Eagles. There is hardly anyone on here these days, and those of us who are here like most everything. (thumbsu

I never meant to imply that I didn't like eagles at all......I just think that the US Mint has taken ASE's to a ridiculous place with all of the special mintmarks, finishes, not adjusting the pricing for numismatic ASE's with silver prices etc.  However, I actually adore 1/10 oz. gold eagles (and, yes, that particular size) and I have a few of them.  I'm actually looking to pursue more of them, but I cannot decide if I should go for bullion strikes or proofs.  Just when I think I've left series collecting behind completely, these little babies may suck me back in!

Share this comment


Link to comment
23 hours ago, Mohawk said:

I never meant to imply that I didn't like eagles at all......I just think that the US Mint has taken ASE's to a ridiculous place with all of the special mintmarks, finishes, not adjusting the pricing for numismatic ASE's with silver prices etc.  However, I actually adore 1/10 oz. gold eagles (and, yes, that particular size) and I have a few of them.  I'm actually looking to pursue more of them, but I cannot decide if I should go for bullion strikes or proofs.  Just when I think I've left series collecting behind completely, these little babies may suck me back in!

I wasn't talking about you, Tom. I was referring to this post by Rick:

On 9/6/2018 at 9:04 PM, Six Mile Rick said:

You do know that the old or should I say better collectors in this crowd are going to reject the eagle collecting overall!! :)

 

I really don't think he was being serious, though . I think he was just messing with moondoggy.

On topic: I haven't bought any ASEs in years, because of most of the reasons stated above.(I don't particularly mind the look of the eagle - I have a $5 Constitution Commemorative, after all.:D)

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 9/8/2018 at 7:36 PM, Just Bob said:

Welcome back, moondoggy. Don't worry about anyone looking down on your Eagles. There is hardly anyone on here these days, and those of us who are here like most everything. (thumbsu

Bob,

 I was serious in my answer!! :)  I am not against those that collect bullion pieces.

Mike,

 As you took the pleasure of leaving us here for a few years while you built that hot rod ----- a few pics please!!  :popcorn:

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now