Bowers and Merena Auctions scored big in January with their Orlando Rarities Sale and the Ponterio & Associates N.Y.I.N.C. ’09 sale.
IRVINE, Calif. — Bowers and Merena Auctions launched 2009 with two outstanding auctions. The Orlando Rarities Sale, held on January 4, prior to the Orlando FUN Convention, realized $4,745,806, followed by the Ponterio & Associates, Inc., N.Y.I.N.C. ’09 Auction on January 9 and 10, which realized $1,648,460.
"We are very pleased with the results of our Orlando Rarities Sale," said Steve Deeds, president of Bowers and Merena. "There were some in the industry who expressed concern about the economy and were unsure what this first major show of the year would bring, but overall attendance was positive and we were happy to present a strong selection of fine rarities that were very well received by our bidders."
Just days after the Orlando sale, Ponterio & Associates, Inc., presented its first auction since becoming a division of Bowers and Merena in early December 2008, held at the New York International Numismatist Convention.
"Ponterio & Associates is pleased to be part of Bowers and Merena and we were very happy with the enhancements they brought to the auction block that made for an even better auction experience for our clients, like live online bidding," said Rick Ponterio, vice president. "We are looking forward to continuing our relationship with our longstanding Ponterio clients, and also bringing World and ancient coins and paper money to the Bowers and Merena clients in our upcoming auctions."
Orlando Rarities Sale highlights include:
|click image to enlarge
- Lot 316 1914-S Buffalo Nickel. MS 67 * (NGC). $39,100
- Lot 427 1834 Capped Bust Dime. JR-1. Rarity-1. Large 4. MS 68 (NGC). $46,000
- Lot 709 1897 Barber Half Dollar. Proof-69 Ultra Cameo (NGC). $50,600
- Lot 927 1895 Morgan Silver Dollar. Proof-67 Ultra Cameo (NGC). $83,950
- Lot 1056 1915-S Panama-Pacific Exposition $50. Round. MS 65 (NGC). $103,500
- Lot 1094 Undated (Circa 1921-1922) August Bechtler. Restrike $5 Gold. Proof-66 (NGC). $44,275
- Lot 1149 1898 Liberty Quarter Eagle. Proof-68 Ultra Cameo (NGC). $46,001
- Lot 1205 1862 Three-Dollar Gold Piece. Proof-66 Ultra Cameo (NGC). $69,000
- Lot 1212 1876 Three-Dollar Gold Piece. Proof-64 Cameo (NGC). $48,875
- Lot 1285 1804 Capped Bust Right Eagle. MS 63 (NGC). $126,500
- Lot 1394 1925-S Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle. MS 66 (NGC). $120,750
Ponterio N.Y.I.N.C. '09 Auction highlights include:
|click image to enlarge
- Lot 667 GUATEMALA. 4 Escudos, 1783-P. NGC XF 40. $12,650
- Lot 811 MEXICO. 8 Escudos, 1747-MF. NGC AU 55. $18,400.00
- Lot 1306 CHINA. Kwangtung. 50 Cents, ND (1890-1905). NGC MS 66. $8,050.00
- Lot 2145 STRAITS SETTLEMENTS. 5 Cents, 1920. KM 31. NGC MS 65. $14,375
Bowers and Merena’s next auction is the Official Auction of the ANA National Money Show™ in Portland, Ore., March 11–13, and the Official Auction of the Baltimore Coin and Currency Convention, March 24–28. Ponterio & Associates will present the Official Auction of the Chicago International Coin Fair, April 24–25. Complete lot viewing and auction schedules are available and catalogs will be available in print and online approximately three to four weeks prior to each auction.
This is a guest article. The thoughts and opinions in this piece are those of their author and are not necessarily the thoughts of the Certified Collectibles Group.