US and World Sales Total More than $10 Million
[IRVINE, CA] – Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio, the world and ancients auction division of Stack’s Bowers Galleries, realized $2,006,348 as part of the Official Auction of the June 2011 Whitman Coin and Collectibles Baltimore Expo, conducted June 17-18. Stack’s Bowers Galleries realized a strong $10,186,912 across eight US and world sessions, continuing its reign as the only official auctioneer of the Whitman Coin and Collectibles Baltimore Expo. The entire sale contained an impressive 7,116 lots, including over 2,000 lots of world and ancient coins and paper money.
Session A led off with a modestly sized yet high quality offering of ancient coins and over 650 lots of Mexican silver and gold coinage, which saw impressive results. World gold finished out this session with strong prices all around, and included a run of Peruvian gold 8 escudos that saw fierce competition. World crowns and minors and world orders and decorations comprised Session B, with notable highlights among the Chinese silver coins and eastern European militaria. The third and final session of the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio sale featured over 500 lots of world paper money and highlighted important rarities from Mauritius, Palestine, and Ukraine.
Foreign coin and banknote highlights of the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio June 2011 Baltimore Auction include:
- Lot 6019, Lysimachos, AV Stater, Uncertain Mint, 305-281 B.C., Choice AU (NGC), realized $7,670
- Lot 6767, Afghanistan, 2½ Amani, SH 1306/9 (1927), Fr-33; KM-914, AU 58 (NGC), realized $11,210
- Lot 6798, Belgium, 20 Francs, 1835, Fr-404, KM-A23.3, Delm-1263, MS 63 (NGC), realized $6,490
- Lot 7081, Russia, 5 Rubles, 1782-CNB, Fr-130B, C-78b, Bit-74, MS 62 (NGC), realized $20,650
- Lot 7088, Russia, 3 Rubles, 1884-CNB-AT, Fr-166, Y-26, Bit-13, MS 64 (NGC), realized $14,160
- Lot 8041, Bolivia, 8 Reales, ND (1574-79), Assayer L/B, KM-5.1, Cal-966, Pao-54, AU 55 (NGC), realized $5,015
- Lot 8153, China, Dollar, Year 21 (1932), L&M-108, K-622, Y-344, Hsu-95, MS 64 (NGC), realized $17,700
- Lot 8154, China, Dollar, Year 21 (1932), L&M-108, K-622, Y-344, Hsu-95, MS 64 (NGC), realized $15,340
- Lot 8177, China, Dollar, ND (1921), L&M-957, K-676a, XF 40 (NGC), realized $8,260
- Lot 8208, Essequebo & Demarary, 3 Guilder, 1809, KM-8, MS 62 (NGC), realized $5,605
- Lot 8354, Guatemala, 8 Reales, 1847-A, KM-4, MS 65 (NGC), finest graded by NGC, realized $14,160
- Lot 11049, Central African Republic, Empire Centrafricain, 1,000 Francs, 1.4.1978, P-6, Choice Uncirculated EPQ 64 (PMG), realized $5,192
- Lot 11310, Mauritius, Government of Mauritius, 25 Rupees, ND (1954), P-29, Very Fine 30 EPQ (PMG), realized $5,605
- Lot 11382, Palestine, Palestine Currency Board, 10 Pounds 30.9.1929, P-9b, Choice Fine 15 (PMG), realized $4,720
For a complete list of prices realized in the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio June 2011 Baltimore Auction, visit www.stacksbowers.com or call at 949.253.0916. Upcoming Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio auctions include the Official ANA World’s Fair of Money and ANA/PNG Pre-Show auctions in Chicago in August and The Hong Kong Auction in August. Consignments are currently invited for the Official Auction of the Whitman Coin and Collectibles Baltimore Expo in November, the N.Y.I.N.C Auction in New York in January 2012, and the Hong Kong Auction in April 2012.
About Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio
Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio is the world and ancients auction division of Stack’s Bowers Galleries. It was founded in 1982 as Ponterio & Associates by Richard Ponterio, renowned specialist in world and ancient numismatics, who is now executive vice president of Stack’s Bowers Galleries. Past auctions have included such notable coin collections as the Wa She Wong Collection, the John S. Davenport Collection, the Witte Museum Collection, the Amat Collection, the Joe Lasser Collection, and the James Hunnicut Collection. Distinguished paper money collections include the East Bay Collection of International Bank Notes, and the Eduard Kann Chinese Bank Note Collection, along with treasure collections from the shipwrecks “Nicobar,” “Rooswijk,” and “Capitana.”
For more information about the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio June 2011 Baltimore Auction, call 949.253.0916 or visit www.stacksbowers.com. For media inquiries, please contact Kris Briggs, marketing manager.
The thoughts and opinions in the piece are those of their author and are not necessarily the thoughts of the Certified Collectibles Group.