US and World Sales Combine to Total More than $46 Million!
IRVINE, Calif. – Stack’s Bowers Galleries conducted the Official Auction of the August 2013 ANA World’s Fair of Money from August 11-16 at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, Illinois. Fourteen live auction sessions and two internet-only sessions brought the total sales to a staggering $46,483,309, including $9,807,440 in world and ancient lots. Some of the most famous names in numismatics were represented at this sale, with pieces from collections like the John J. Ford, Jr. Collection, the Thos. H. Law Collection, the Richard Jewell Collection, the Bentley Shores Collection, the Dr. Edward and Joanne Dauer Collection of Silver Certificates, and the Demarete Collection offered throughout this amazing event.
Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio, the foreign and ancient coin and paper money division of Stack’s Bowers Galleries, presented more than 3,700 lots of world and ancient coins and paper money as the Official Auctioneer of the August 2013 ANA World’s Fair of Money in Chicago, Illinois. This impressive selection contained many rare and interesting pieces, offering something for every collector.
The section of world gold coins, Session C, contained a number of notable highlights, like the extremely rare 1824-R Brazilian Peca of Pedro I, an NGC MS 61 coin that brought $47,000. Lot 12444 featured the famed Wilson Dollar struck in gold, also graded NGC MS 61, which yielded a strong $50,525. Russian coins, always a popular area, offered a high grade 1726 Catherine I 2 Rubles graded NGC AU 58 that topped out at an impressive $70,500.
Nearly 450 lots of world crowns and minors comprised Session D, which also produced many outstanding realizations. British coins included a very attractive 1658/7 Cromwell Crown graded MS 62 by NGC that fetched $13,512 as well as a beautiful 1739 Young Head Crown in NGC MS 65 that sold for $15,275. Among Asian issues was a lovely Japanese Ansei Trade Dollar in NGC MS 62, a very rare and interesting piece that brought $25,850.
Additional NGC-certified highlights of the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio August 2013 Official Auction of the ANA World’s Fair of Money include:
- Lot 12001, ARGENTINA. 8 Escudos, 1832/1-RA P. NGC AU 58. Realized $17,625
- Lot 12033, BRAZIL. 12,800 Reis, 1733-M. NGC MS 65. Realized $34,075
- Lot 12071, BRAZIL. 6,400 Reis (Peca), 1824-R. NGC MS 61. Realized $47,000
- Lot 12247, GERMANY. Westphalia. 40 Franken, 1813-C. NGC MS 65. Realized $14,100
- Lot 12362, MEXICO. 8 Escudos, 1743-Mo MF. NGC MS 62. Realized $13,512
- Lot 12444, PHILIPPINES. Wilson Dollar in Gold, 1920. NGC MS 61. Realized $50,525
- Lot 12473, RUSSIA. 2 Rubles, 1726. NGC AU 58. Realized $70,500
- Lot 12523, SOUTH AFRICA. Pond, 1894. NGC MS 65. Realized $28,788
- Lot 13132, GERMAN NEW GUINEA. 5 Mark, 1894-A. NGC PROOF 66. Realized $26,438
- Lot 13177, GREAT BRITAIN. England. Crown, 1658/7. NGC MS 62. Realized $13,512
- Lot 13181, GREAT BRITAIN. Crown, 1739. NGC MS 65. Realized $15,275
- Lot 13245, ITALY. Papal States. 1/2 Piastre, 1706. NGC MS 63. From the Demarete Collection. Realized $9,988
- Lot 13246, ITALY. Papal States. 1/2 Piastre, Year 11 (1711). NGC MS 63. From the Demarete Collection. Realized $8,695
- Lot 13268, JAPAN. Ansei Trade Dollar (3 Bu Or San Bu), ND (1859). NGC MS 62. Realized $25,850
- Lot 13323, POLAND. 100 Zlotych Proba, 1925. NGC MS 63. Realized $11,750
- Lot 13353, RUSSIA. Ruble, 1742-CNB. NGC MS 62. Realized $13,512
- Lot 13393, RUSSIA. 25 Kopek, 1900. NGC PROOF 66. Realized $18,212
For a complete list of prices realized in the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio Official Auction of the August 2013 ANA World’s Fair of Money, visit www.stacksbowers.com or call us at 800.458.4646. To consign to an upcoming sale, contact Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio at 800.458.4646 (West Coast office) or 800.566.2580 (East Coast office), or by email at [email protected]. Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio is currently accepting consignments for the January 2014 International sale that will take place in New York and the April 2014 Hong Kong auction.
About Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio
Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio is the world and ancients auction division of Stack’s Bowers Galleries, a division of Fortune 500 Company Spectrum Group International. It was founded in 1982 as Ponterio & Associates by Richard Ponterio, renowned specialist in world and ancient numismatics, who is now executive vice president of Stack’s Bowers Galleries. Past auctions have included such notable coin collections as the Wa She Wong Collection, the John S. Davenport Collection, the Witte Museum Collection, the Amat Collection, the Joe Lasser Collection, and the James Hunnicut Collection. Distinguished paper money collections include the East Bay Collection of International Bank Notes, and the Eduard Kann Chinese Bank Note Collection, along with treasure collections from the shipwrecks “Nicobar,” “Rooswijk,” and “Capitana.”
The thoughts and opinions in the piece are those of their author and are not necessarily the thoughts of the Certified Collectibles Group.