Auction will feature Condition Consensus #4 1794 Silver Dollar.
[IRVINE, Calif] — Bowers and Merena Auctions, one of the world’s pre-eminent numismatic auctioneers, will host its Boston Rarities Auction on Saturday, August 7, at The Castle at Park Plaza Hotel and Towers in Boston, Mass. The sale, comprised of nearly 1,800 lots, will feature world-class rarities and highly desirable collectors’ coins.
"Bowers and Merena is delighted to offer what we believe to be one of the most eagerly anticipated auctions of the year. Several important collections are anchoring this sale, but one collection in particular stands out as the true highlight of the sale, which is the Cardinal Collection Educational Foundation Mint State Set of 1794 United States Coinage,” said Greg Roberts, CEO of Bowers and Merena Auctions.
The set is complete for all 1794-dated coins struck in the early mint, from the Half Cent through the Silver Dollar and is fully Mint State with most coins choice to gem in quality. The coins are among the finest known for their respective issues and die varieties, but the obvious highlight of the set is the Virgil Brand-F.C.C. Boyd-Cardinal specimen of the 1794 Flowing Hair Silver Dollar. Certified MS 64 by NGC, the coin is Condition Census #4 for the issue and one of only six Mint State examples known to exist. The five coins in the 1794 Mint State Set will be auctioned individually.
Additional NGC highlights in the upcoming Bowers and Merena’s August 2010 Boston Rarities Auction include:
- 1794 Liberty Cap Half Cent, C-9, High Relief Head, MS 65 BN (NGC), From the Cardinal Collection Educational Foundation
- 1794 Liberty Cap Cent, S-29, Head of 1794, MS 65 BN (NGC), From the Cardinal Collection Educational Foundation
- 1794 Flowing Hair Half Dime, LM-3, MS 67 (NGC), From the Cardinal Collection Educational Foundation
- 1794 Flowing Hair Half Dollar, O-105, MS 62 (NGC), From the Cardinal Collection Educational Foundation
- 1895 Morgan Silver Dollar, Proof 68 Cameo (NGC), From the Horseshoe Collection
- 1877 Pattern Half Union, Judd-1547 Gilt, Large Head, Proof 63 (NGC), CAC
- 1877 Pattern Half Union, Judd-1549 Gilt, Small Head, Proof 64+ Cameo (NGC), CAC
- 1879 Four-Dollar Gold Stella, Flowing Hair, Judd-1635, Proof 66 Cameo (NGC)
- 1900 Liberty Double Eagle, Proof 65 Cameo (NGC)
For a complete list of coins that will be featured at the August 2010 Boston Rarities Auction, visit the firm’s website at www.bowersandmerena.com or call toll-free at 800-458-4646.
This article is a guest article written by:
The thoughts and opinions in this piece are those of their author and are not necessarily the thoughts of the Certified Collectibles Group.