The NGC Universal ID is a four digit alphanumeric that groups coins based on a unique combination of date, mintmark, denomination and striking process (MS, PF, or SP). These IDs are a simple organization of all coins prior to variety attribution and grading.
Walter Breen, in his Encyclopedia (1988), indicates that as many as eight proofs exist of the 1843 quarter. In the August 3, 1998 Bowers and Merena The Rarities Sale of an NGC PR64 specimen (lot 155), the cataloger states: 'For some unrecorded reason, Proof mintages of silver coins were very low in 1843, considerably smaller than would be the case for the following year, 1844.'
Research reveals only six examples of proof 1843 quarters in auction catalogs of recent decades. They include:
1. PR66 NGC.ÿ1946 ANA Sale (Numismatic Gallery, 8/1946), lot 442 (unplated), John Jay Pittman Collection (David Akers, 5/1998), lot 1309, Phil Kaufman Collection (Heritage, 7/2008), lot 1808, which realized $74,750.
2. PR64 NGC.ÿThomas L. Smith Estate (Stack's, 6/1957), lot 529, Findley Collection (Heritage, 1/2009), lot 3763, Heritage (7/2009, lot 1085).
3. PR64 NGC.ÿDr. Christian A. Allenburger Collection (B. Max Mehl, 3/1948), lot 1015, Floyd T. Starr Collection (Stack's, 10/1992), lot 403, Bowers and Merena (8/1998), lot 155.
4. PR64 NGC.ÿJudge Joseph F. Sawicki (5/1948), John Jay Pittman Collection (David Akers, 10/1997), lot 832 (part of an 1843 Proof Set), Heritage (8/2006), lot 5187.
5. Brilliant Proof.ÿWill W. Neil Collection (B. Max Mehl MBS, 6/17/1947, Amon G. Carter, Jr. Family Collection (Stack's, 1/1984), lot 630 (part of an 1843 Proof Set).
6. Proof.ÿSmithsonian Institution.
Description and Analysis courtesy of Heritage Auctions and may not be republished without written permission.
Use the scroll bar at the bottom of this box to view a summary of the NGC Price Guide, NGC Census, Auction Prices Realized and NGC Registry Scores for each grade.
There was no data found for this Coin.
Click on a price to see historical prices, comparison charts and trends.
The World Coin Price Guide is independently compiled by Krause Publications’ NumisMaster. NGC makes this information available to its website visitors as a free service, but in no way does the information provided represent NGC’s official opinion or policy. For example, varieties listed in the World Coin Price Guide may not necessarily be recognized by NGC. Please contact NGC Customer Service with any questions.
NGC Price and Value Guides Disclaimer
A random selection of coins is shown below.
No Images Found
NGC Auction Central Disclaimer